Coolant volume through the rad

Hi,

does anybody know how much volume of coolant flows through the rad per minute / hour?

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320
On 3/27/2024 at 5:38 PM, Z320 said:

Hi,

does anybody know how much volume of coolant flows through the rad per minute / hour?

Ciao, Marco 

Is that theoretical maximum flow possible through the radiator from inlet and outlet pipes and flowing through all the cooling tube cores?  

Is the rate of cooling also a determining factor?

In service when fitted the rate of flow will vary with pump speed, which is set by engine speed.

i have found this discussion but am not sure it is what you are asking.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/coolant-air-flow-rate-finding-the-cars-rates.566125/

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Hi Peter,

this is an issue of interest and perhaps of an experiment.

Currently I read a article about the engine of the German pre war car "Adler Trumpf Junior".

Power of 25 hp, like 15 million Ford T with 20 hp, both with thermosyphon cooling --> low flow without cooling pump!

While the later Ford A with 40 hp had one cooling pump, from 1932 on the Ford V8 even two of them (each head).

So about 20 hp is the limit for a thermsyphon cooling?

On more powerful cars with pump my question is how much volume do they need?

Perhaps to know this is the treasure of engine builders.

The diagram on your link looks good - but on the fraction "Coolant heat flow / brake power" all units are missing (liter, m³, galone, /min, /h, hp, kW?)

What I found: the efficiency of a pertol engine is about 20-25%, means 100 hp causes 300 hp of heat?

The loss of heat is heat from friction, heat from hot exhaust gases, radiant heat and heat to the radiator?

I remember several posts here about "uprated pumps" (some with wrong impeller) and about the issue gap between housing and impeller.

And in my mind I have a coolant rate of 5 - 7 m³/h? Don't ask me what engine.

2 l/sec coolant would be 7.2 m³/h and a speed of about 2.5 m/s in the rad top pipe? Could be realistic...

Why I'm asking:

this is a low resistance, ultra sonic "Qn 3.5" heat meter for heat, flow and temperature

that found its way in my workshop and is trapped there. Is this wouth an experiment or obvious too small?

AP1GczOuLUoB6viAnAIU23c4vLb8hihZ6PBd9zuv

Next dimesion of the heat meters is "Qn 6", perhaps better?

Happy Easter!

Ciao, Marco

Happy Easter to you too Marco.

My first car was a side valve engined Morris Minor of 1948 vintage. Called series MM.    That car had an engine of 1930’s derivation, it was 918cc producing 27.5 hp (20.5 kW) and 39 lb⋅ft (53 N⋅m) of torque.

Cooling was by thermo syphon and fan.   The water pump was only added if a heater was fitted.   The car would happily run at 80 kph without overheating on a highway.   If you kept up a speed of over 80 kph it would soon overheat    I did that once and had to renew the head gasket.   

Progression for that car was the introduction of the ohv ‘A’ series engine of 803 cc that was more powerful and thirsty.  This engine was always pump assisted cooling.