Fitting windscreen trim and filling the overdrive gearbox and diff with oil.

8 minutes ago, stuart said:

Stanley knife is favourite and the quickest, go in the groove where you thought the trim would go with handle angled towards the frame so you cut enough of the rubber to get the screen out and then just pull the remnants out after and bin. Give the glass edge a good clean where its been in that rubber and then fit the new rubber round the screen on the bench and then fit the trim in the groove starting centre bottom and fit all the way round and leave the excess poking out at the join, fit your pull in string round the rubber with the ends at the bottom middle and apply a good amount of lube  (Durex "Play" is the best) and then slot the screen into the lower part of the frame and with pressure applied against the screen pull the string round a bit at a time going side to side. Leave to settle for a day or two and only then trim the excess off the finisher and fit the clip. A little drop of super glue under the clip stops it going AWOL whilst screen cleaning in the future.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart.  Much appreciated.  So, fit the rubber to the glass, then fit the chrome trim to the seal on the glass before fitting the whole assembly to the car?  I'd never have thought that.  Doesn't the chrome trim make the seal swell, making it more difficult to fit the screen to the frame?  I thought that was the idea, so fitting the trim after the seal is in the car, helps to lock the whole thing together, no?  I will take your advice but never done it that way on other cars, hence my question.  Every day is a school day.  Thanks again.

2 minutes ago, Steven Whitaker said:

Thanks Stuart.  Much appreciated.  So, fit the rubber to the glass, then fit the chrome trim to the seal on the glass before fitting the whole assembly to the car?  I'd never have thought that.  Doesn't the chrome trim make the seal swell, making it more difficult to fit the screen to the frame?  I thought that was the idea, so fitting the trim after the seal is in the car, helps to lock the whole thing together, no?  I will take your advice but never done it that way on other cars, hence my question.  Every day is a school day.  Thanks again.

No its only a trim not a filler strip which is what your thinking of, it doesnt make any difference to the seal fit but its a lot easier to fit it that way than trying to fit after using the tool you showed earlier as that will mark the trim especially on the corners. Dont forget to warm the trim up to make it easier to go round the corners.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart.  That's exactly what I was thinking! 

Cheers and wish me luck as I chop up a £50 seal.....  I'll be crying as I do it, being a Yorkshire man....

Screen in with new rubber seal and new chrome trim.  Easy when you know how and have the correct parts from Moss!  Cheers all, especially Stuart.  Glad that’s done.  Took an hour all said.  

Please wait while image is uploading...

IMG_3204.jpeg

Like the windscreen glass seal, go and do something else for 4 or 5 days in case the seal creeps back towards the centre, less likely because of the positive fittings but that's what I did.

Mick Richards

1 hour ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Like the windscreen glass seal, go and do something else for 4 or 5 days in case the seal creeps back towards the centre, less likely because of the positive fittings but that's what I did.

Mick Richards

The frame to body seal has been in for a month so should be ready to trim?

Have a look at the relationship between the top of the "A" post and the bottom of the frame and trim to the one thats the furthest backwards. You might need a little bit of DumDum or similar to just fill any void at the joint.

Stuart.