Servo pin adjustment.

Investigating brake pedal travel, I have made up the H tool, as recommended, but I cannot remember who it was, please forgive me.

If I use the tool on the MC and then check the clearance on the servo, I do have a really big gap, perhaps 4mm, but If I use a straight edge across the servo I do have a much smaller gap.

So my question is do I adjust out the pin with perhaps 0.010" (ten thou )gap to the setting of the H tool?

No wonder I do have a bit of pedal travel before anything happens!  Just wanted to confirm before I change the adjustment, thanks..

John

The setting tool is more or less fool proof and that is why I built mine (but not my idea, just copied it. Saves all the calculations! push the rod into the master cylinder, lock up, reverse it onto the servo pin and measure. This will determine the gap.

You will get there.

Regards Harry

Hi John,

It is easy to set with a straight edge across the servo. There is a bit of "gotcha" in that the slave cylinder needs to be checked. The idea is that the clearance between the servo actuator spigot and its mating with the slave cylinder should be around 15/100". My slave cylinder was a bit out so a relevant adjustment had to made. The larger the gap the more pedal travel. I don't know about the "H" tool but I suspect that is what it compensates for.

The other small issue is that the locknut at the bas of the spigot is tricky to get to and could come undone - I used a drop of Loctite to be on the safe side.

Good luck

Tom

Servo Settings.jpg

Just to finish this topic, in the end I just set the servo pushrod with a straight edge, less 0.015" like the photo above.

If I used the tool, to measure the MC, and transferred it to the servo pushrod, I needed to extend the servo pushrod, having done that and replacing the MC to the servo, I was met with a gap with the MC to the servo, and could feel spring pressure of the MC.  The logic doesn't stand up here, so set the servo pushrod back with a straight edge, like the picture above and all is fine.

Can anybody explain why the logic doesn't doesn't add up please? I'm confused!

John