Transmission tunnel courtesy light

Hi guys, my new to me TR6 came with a new carpet fitted but with the light not in place but in a box of bits. Before I start pulling the tunnel carpet up, can someone advise me on where it sits on said tunnel (dimension from front or back would be helpful) as well as the electric cable routing please. I'm gonna take the seats out today in readiness.

HI Trev

The cable on mine runs from a connector behind the trim panel in the passenger footwell ,along the lower edge of the inner passenger sill and wheel arch then along the bottom of the heel board behind the  passenger seat and under the carpet to the light unit at the rear of the tunnel cover.

I can't give you an exact dimension from the rear of the tunnel as i took mine out years ago ( useless as a light and can be in the way when accessing the rear shelf.) Mine was very close to the heel board.

Hope this helps

Brian

41 minutes ago, brian -r said:

HI Trev

The cable on mine runs from a connector behind the trim panel in the passenger footwell ,along the lower edge of the inner passenger sill and wheel arch then along the bottom of the heel board behind the  passenger seat and under the carpet to the light unit at the rear of the tunnel cover.

I can't give you an exact dimension from the rear of the tunnel as i took mine out years ago ( useless as a light and can be in the way when accessing the rear shelf.) Mine was very close to the heel board.

Hope this helps

Brian

Many thanks Brian, I've removed the seats and floor carpet now, so can see that cable, thanks. I was hoping for a rough dimension for positioning of the light so that I could poke a needle through the carpet to find the screw holes instead of ripping the tunnel carpet up, being stuck down. However, I'm just about to put footwell lighting in, so may follow your lead and leave the tunnel light off as I'm in agreement...it looks like it'll be in the way and the footwell lighting can be controlled from a dashboard switch and door opening anyway.

Regards Trev 

8 minutes ago, Trev Good said:

Many thanks Brian, I've removed the seats and floor carpet now, so can see that cable, thanks. I was hoping for a rough dimension for positioning of the light so that I could poke a needle through the carpet to find the screw holes instead of ripping the tunnel carpet up, being stuck down. However, I'm just about to put footwell lighting in, so may follow your lead and leave the tunnel light off as I'm in agreement...it looks like it'll be in the way and the footwell lighting can be controlled from a dashboard switch and door opening anyway.

Regards Trev 

Good plan, they are a waste of space, LED strips in the footwell is a much better solution.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Good plan, they are a waste of space, LED strips in the footwell is a much better solution.

Stuart.

Funnily enough I’m going to use a couple of the LED number plate light/bolts, mounted on the transmission tunnel side panels.

17 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Funnily enough I’m going to use a couple of the LED number plate light/bolts, mounted on the transmission tunnel side panels.

Not sure they would actually give you that much light, I used LED strips with 12 LEDs on them allied with the one up in the rear of the Surrey and its like daylight in there!

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Not sure they would actually give you that much light, I used LED strips with 12 LEDs on them allied with the one up in the rear of the Surrey and its like daylight in there!

Stuart.

I don't actually want too much light, it tends to show the areas where I've missed with the hoover.

Leant that trick from her indoors...

1 minute ago, Jonny TR6 said:

I don't actually want too much light, it tends to show the areas where I've missed with the hoover.

Leant that trick from her indoors...

:lol::lol::lol::ph34r: