Returning member - and 704 FTT

Hello, All.

After a gap of 13 years or so I’ve rejoined the Register and bought myself another TR.

Previously the owner of a TR6 (SLF 991L) that I sold on to Neil (ntc) and that was later restored by Marko at Classic Marks, I now have a TR3a.

A couple of month ago I purchased 704 FTT - a car well-known to many on here as it had been in the ownership of Brian Chidwick, who sadly passed away last year, since 1977.

Overall it’s in very good shape: solid, including in all the places where often they aren’t, and with a lovely patina that I don’t want to lose.  It needs a suspension overhaul, new radiator and a couple of other things sorted, but the flaky chassis (a CTM unit that was powder coated when the car was restored in 2007) was going to need attention sooner or later. The coating has failed pretty much all over and is flaking; even where it hasn’t visibly failed, the surface is beginning to suffer underneath it.  So I’ve bitten the bullet, taken the body off and will be giving it a decent refurb and recommission over the coming months. The good news is it’s all pretty solid… so should be a great car once done and i can’t wait to drive it.

I’ve said it’ll be on the road for the summer. I’m just not saying which summer, obviously.

I’ll try to post some progress reports on here as I go. And thanks in advance for all the sage advice! :D

Cheers,

Ben

40 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Welcome back Ben,

Do look after the car.

Roger

Thanks Roger - rest assured it’ll definitely be looked after. 

Ben - good news to know that 704 FTT will be back on the road at some point (whichever summer!). Brian was a founder member of Lea Valley Group, and also entered many of the tours run by the Carpenters Arms Classic Car Club in Harpenden, which I help organise - so it would be very appropriate to see the car again at any of our events, LVG or CACCC, in the future - you will be very welcome.

Keep in touch.

Cheers

Pete Muncer

Hi Ben.will we be seeing you at the Surrey Oaks on Sunday around midday (Thames Valley group monthly meeting place)

Hope so, 

Cheers

Bob.

Thanks Bob / Pete. 

Will be trying to get along to as any things as possible, especially once the car is back on the road, so hopefully catch up with you both sooner or later! 

cheers,

ben 

• 2 months later...

A quick update on progress with my TR3 while I wait for the rain to stop!

Removed the body with no major drama.  The chassis has been blasted, painted and is back on the stands being built up again.  Gearbox and axle have been checked over, new seals fitted, cleaned / painted and all back together. Steering box is rebuilt and awaiting a coat of paint.

Slowly working my way through painting all the brackets and fixings. Every time I think I'm done I find something I'd forgotten...

Will turn to the body next but nothing major to do. A couple of minor repairs needed to the NS front inner wings (where the chassis mounting plate is sandwiched to it) and to the gutter of the OS front wing. That's the trickiest part I think: does anyone do a handy gutter repair section for the wings by any chance?  Guess I might just have to make it.

Thanks for all the help and advice so far!

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2774.jpg

IMG_3016.jpg

IMG_3049.jpg

IMG_3241.jpg