No spark, advice appreciated

She's now running!

I was about to try running a feed directly from the battery to the magnetronic ignition but before I did that I thought I would just check one more time that I definitely wasnt getting a spark after fitting the new coil, leads and terminals. I still didn't get a spark from the plugs but I did now get one from the king lead from the coil. This morning when I reported that it still wasnt working after changing these parts I was in a bit of a hurry and only checked for a spark at the plugs. So this was progress and suggested that I had fixed one problem (probably the coil) as I previously wasn't getting a spark from the king lead from the old coil.

So I tried a different new rotor arm  - visibly identical to the other one I'd tried and to my old one which was cracked - and she fired up! I've just been for a quick spin and she seems to be running perfectly.

It seems therefore that I had a problem with my coil (or possibly HT leads but they did look in fairly good condition) *and* with the new rotor arm that I'd fitted to replace the old one. Alternatively, there's a dodgy connection somewhere that is temporarily working after all the fiddling around that I've done!

Given that my car is ballasted the magnetronic ignition has been wired incorrectly as Steve above said, but it seems that isn't the problem on this occasion. But it is something I'll have to sort out.

On the plus side I now have a much better understanding of the TR6 ignition system so every cloud....

Many thanks for all the suggestions, they've been very helpful.

Matt

Excellent- good result.   With the engine idling It would be worth wiggling connections and pulling gently on some of the LT wires,  just in case there is a hidden break somewhere as "TR Rob"  found on his. 

Please do not trust a rotor arm just because it is in new packaging, I can assure you it will fail fairly quickly, go for a Distributor Doctor o red one ASAP( assuming you haven't already) Good luck.