Overdrive type j clutch triumph tr6

Your overdrive slips in reverse? If it's engaged in reverse you've probably broken the unidirectional clutch.

I had a wiring fault with my A type and the car was put into reverse with the O/D engaged it kicked like a mule. 

When you dissembled the O/D did you notice broken pieces of metal or metal flakes? They may be clustered around the magnetic drain plug, if you have one fitted.

Mike, this is the second thread on this problem.  

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/85686-triumph-tr6-overdrive-type-j/

As I understand it, Diego's car has no drive in reverse even though the overdrive is not operated.  According to Buckeye the J type uses just the sliding friction clutch in the overdrive to grip the annulus and transmit reverse power when in the non-operated position, with the Sun gear free to rotate.  It is this clutch which seems to be slipping - perhaps the engagement coil  springs are weak or not properly assembled. 

In the forward gears the unidirectional roller-clutch does the driving so a problem with the sliding clutch isn't noticed. 

He needs help from someone with knowledge of the J type internals I think.  

Edited by RobH
10 hours ago, Mike C said:

Your overdrive slips in reverse? If it's engaged in reverse you've probably broken the unidirectional clutch.

I had a wiring fault with my A type and the car was put into reverse with the O/D engaged it kicked like a mule. 

When you dissembled the O/D did you notice broken pieces of metal or metal flakes? They may be clustered around the magnetic drain plug, if you have one fitted.

Thanks Mike no it’s good all overdrive I review all and it works all the overdrive only that slips in reverse if you put the car with the wheel in the air reverse works but you put in the ground and fonts works reverse and the clutch of the overdrive looks good outside and inside 

7 hours ago, RobH said:

Mike, this is the second thread on this problem.  

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/85686-triumph-tr6-overdrive-type-j/

As I understand it, Diego's car has no drive in reverse even though the overdrive is not operated.  According to Buckeye the J type uses just the sliding friction clutch in the overdrive to grip the annulus and transmit reverse power when in the non-operated position, with the Sun gear free to rotate.  It is this clutch which seems to be slipping - perhaps the engagement coil  springs are weak or not properly assembled. 

In the forward gears the unidirectional roller-clutch does the driving so a problem with the sliding clutch isn't noticed. 

He needs help from someone with knowledge of the J type internals I think.  

Thanks a lot rob I review overdrive and it looks good and works perfect in 3rd and 4rd they connects perfect but reverse don’t works with the wheels in ground sliding but if you put the wheels in air they slips and the noise of slips it’s of the overdrive clutch but I saw the clutch but looks in good condition and I try disconnect the wiring of the overdrive solenoid and nothing new 

3 hours ago, M2 competition said:

Thanks Mike no it’s good all overdrive I review all and it works all the overdrive only that slips in reverse if you put the car with the wheel in the air reverse works but you put in the ground and fonts works reverse and the clutch of the overdrive looks good outside and inside 

I'm not an expert on J type overdrives, but for those that are you need to confirm-id your OD slipping in reverse when it is disengaged.

A photo of your unidirectional clutch would help the experts assess its condition.

23 hours ago, Mike C said:

I'm not an expert on J type overdrives, but for those that are you need to confirm-id your OD slipping in reverse when it is disengaged.

A photo of your unidirectional clutch would help the experts assess its condition.

Hellow Mike I disassembled all the overdrive and everything is ok with no metal pieces of wear in the oil nothing and here I leave photos of the clutch is strange because for the front all the gears work including the overdrive but the only thing with problems is the reverse gear. IMG_3026.thumb.jpeg.00b0b60185d9161bf80d6dc43ab00e94.jpeg

IMG_3027.jpeg

This has good diagrams of how the overdrive works:

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/how_it_works_laycock_overdrive

In direct drive the cone clutch (sliding clutch) is forced rearwards by the release springs and grips the annulus which prevents the sun gear rotating. In forward gears the drive comes initially from this to turn the annulus until the unidirectional clutch locks up and connects the gearbox shaft to the output shaft.  

In reverse gear, the unidirectional clutch will disengage and the drive comes solely via the cone clutch.  Reverse drive therefore depends on how well the cone grips the annulus.  This means that if the cone clutch is slipping, forward direct drive will still work since it comes via the unidirectional clutch, but reverse direct drive will not work.  

As I see it, the grip of the cone clutch in direct drive must depend on four things:

the condition of the friction surface,

the strength of the release springs

free movement of the cone clutch on its shaft

full retraction of the operating pistons  

Is there an overdrive guru on here who can give some insight?