NOS Gearbox dry stored...

...but not that of a TR6. Sorry for that little lie. It is for my boat. And I will see (and buy) it today and must decide very quick. Due that I ask for your advice:

that gearbox is a very simple (see photo). back, neutral and forward, integrated cone-clutch, deflection with bevel gear.

The gearbox is stored dry for 20 years. The seller should be serious, the price is very very good. Now just driving 3 hours by car before possibly buying it I am looking for the traps.

I want to open in and see if there is any corrosion (if the seller let me open it). Maybe I am too careful, are gearboxes out of the fabric not greased a little=?

I want to turn the propeller and listen. I want to shift the clutch for gear change.

What else can I do?

many thanks!

Cas 

Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-23 um 07.40.00.png

Looks like a stern drive. Previous use in fresh or salt water? 20 years dry storage and not rotated? You are probably up for a set of seals.

Check that the cone clutch engages fully in both directions. I've had problems with outboard dog clutches not engaging fully  due to incorrect linkage adjustment leading to premature wear.

If you can, undo the drain plug and check for water and metallic particles. A gearbox stored outside and vented to atmosphere will condense a significant amount of water from the atmosphere over 20 years. If there's water you may have a problem with  brinelling like corrosion spots in the roller bearings.

Can you still buy any spare parts you are likely to need?

Thanks a lot Mike. 

You are right, a saildrive is nearly the same than a sterndrive, but the sterndrive is in  fixed Position. It is a yannmar and all parts are available. The clutch is a problem but Upgrades ate available. I hope that these marine gears are oiled before leasing the factory.