Buying my second TR6

Hello, I have the opportunity to buy my second TR6, albeit 31 years on from when I sold my first one.

The Car is in Spain where I currently live. Chassis number 1CP52049LP. I understand that it's a Belgium built example denoted by the prefix 1.

One owner from new, in what seems to be white or old English white. Looks to be fairly original with 68000 km on the clock (could be 168000 of course).

Now there is no O at the end of the chassis number which would indicate a factory fitted overdrive, so I've read but there are three levers at the steering column.

Is this an indication that the car has or had an overdrive?

Are there any special things I should be looking out for prior to buying?

Kind regards,

Mario Fusco.

With that chassis number its definitely a Malines built car. It could well have had overdrive subsequently fitted which is a good thing. A comprehensive check for rust is the first thing though if its genuine one owner and lived in Spain all its life then there`s some chance it wont be suffering too badly, if possible take someone with you who knows the cars.

Stuart.

Thanks for the reply Stuart, I see you specialize in restoring TRs.
Unfortunately I don't have anyone of confidence that knows the cars and I can take. 

Spain is a tough market for anything that wasn't built in Spain, there was so little imported with regards to foreign "exotic" cars.

I have seen the clubs Buyer Beware flyer and remember some from the other one I owned and spent tons on.

I have been told by the guy selling on behalf of the elderly gentleman that four years ago he'd spent 3000€ getting it fettled and then stored it.

By the looks of the photos I have, I'd say he had the car resprayed then.

I've also owned other classics so hopefully I should get by as long as I don't make a heart felt decision. Hahahaha.

I'll let you know how I get on.

regards,

Mario Fusco.

Mario,

You should also get in touch with TR-Club Spain. They have a lot of members who own TR6 and I'm sure that they will be able to give you advice and hopefully arrange for someone local to go and have a look at it for you.  I was sent details of the car you are thinking  of purchasing 1CP52049LP a few years back so they should hopefully have some records. The person to contact is Álvaro Toledo Ruiz and he can be contacted through their main club website using their contact email address

If you don't get any response send me a pm with your email address and I will put you in direct contact with Alvaro. 

https://www.trclub-spain.com/

Derek

2 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

Mario,

You should also get in touch with TR-Club Spain. They have a lot of members who own TR6 and I'm sure that they will be able to give you advice and hopefully arrange for someone local to go and have a look at it for you.  I was sent details of the car you are thinking  of purchasing 1CP52049LP a few years back so they should hopefully have some records. The person to contact is Álvaro Toledo Ruiz and he can be contacted through their main club website using their contact email address

If you don't get any response send me a pm with your email address and I will put you in direct contact with Alvaro. 

https://www.trclub-spain.com/

Derek

Hi Derek, that's interesting..., you were sent details a few years back. I didn't think the car had been on the market long.
I'm wondering if you have photos, maybe before the respray?

Hi Mario,

Appears that I didn't save any images of it. It was for sale in Barcelona in October 2018 on the  MiClasico.com website. Details that I noted at the time were colour New White, and registration number .B-4675-A. From the CKD records its original destination when new from was Spain, which was unusual as most TR6 sent to Spain were from Coventry. Its original engine when new was CP52926HE. 

best of luck 

Derek