Fumes in passenger compartment

HI, sorry, been an TR7 DHC owner for about a year, but not really done as much to car yet as had planned, just getting started.... so far its been replacing fuel tank sensor, all fuel pipe, new hood and new tyres.

Anyway, have some oily/ petrolly engine smells in passenger compartment. Is this to be expected or not please? (As I say all petrol pipes replaced, not coming from them).

• Thinking will replace all grommets from engine compartment to passenger compartment as many look disintegrating/ torn- how many are there and what sizes do I need to order please?
  • Fresh air plenum has seal around upper edge, is there supposed to be one around edge to bulkhead too?
  • Anything else I can check?

Yes there should be a rubber strip where the plenum rests against the bulkhead. https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID006252

I think Robsport list a pack of engine bay grommets.

You shouldn’t be smelling oil / petrol inside the car. Have you checked for worn fuel bowl needle valves in the SU carbs?  They can wear to the point of not closing off, allowing petrol to flow out of the vent.

Edited by BusheyTrader
Word

I’m out of the country at the moment so can’t photo it.  A slim rubber “U” section about 1 cm high should probably suffice.  About 1.5mm thickness either side of the bottom edge of the plenum as it has to sit inside that metal ledge on the bulkhead.

I wouldn’t have thought much in the way of fumes would enter the cabin through here.  Many Rover V8 fuel injected conversions have the plenum removed due to lack of space, plus water from the bonnet grille above has to pass through it if kept in place.

Yes agree the seal on the top of the heater bulkhead plenum scoop that seals to the bonnet etc may be damaged or missing.    

Is the heater air intake plenum scoop thing fitted under the bonnet?   It unclips from the bulkhead to allow access to the distributor etc when servicing 

They do get taken off and then forgotten to be refitted.    Another issue was mechanics would take them off to service the car, forget to refit, and run over them as they went to road test the car.   It was a surprisingly high demand item along with dip sticks.   Owners could not work out where they went so poked them in where they thought they came from, and promptly lost them on the road.