Valve adjustment

Decided , as car is ‘new’ to me to check and where necessary adjust the valve clearance on my TR3A.

Took the plugs out and rocker cover off, but struggling to turn engine over.

Cannot get a spanner on crankshaft bolt as it is situated in the fan extension ( no fan present as converted to electric fan) and anyway to close to radiator core !

Would a suggestion be to put car in gear 3 or 4 and rock it with help of assistant or to jack it up and turn a rear wheel .

Advice appreciated

Yep, 4th and push it. 

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

Take the sparking plugs out, & use a socket & ratchet on the dynamo / alternator pulley. 

Bob

Yes, tried that initially, even pushing belt on to increase grip, problem is very tight getting ratchet spanner in and didn’t want to grate my knuckles on radiator matrix, also even after all above belt still slipped ! 
Plugs out, select 4th gear and between me and my assistant jiggling it along we got the job done !