Buying mz first TR6, help needed.

14 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Shaun...My impression of the first car that you posted is that the mileage quoted is not genuine... the dealer has made the outside of the body look nice, but neglected to fix mechanical issues.. the car has not been cared for... has an engine out of the car oil leak, probably from the rear crankshaft seal.

Stay away unless it is a bargain price.

Hello.

The engine has been taken out and completely overhauled a few years ago. I have been given a cd which has got photos on it documenting the work that was done.

Shaun, you need a personal inspection of the car underneath whilst on a lift. I was visiting our local Triumph repairer today and a nice gent had brought in his early 70s Spitfire which looked ok (albeit dirty/dusty from storage). Once it was up on the lift, a littany of rust was found literally everywhere - sills, arches, floors, etc., etc., etc... The repairer's verdict was the car was very likely unrestorable(unless sizable sums expended, which Spitfires don't command price wise) and when we left the owner was on their drive contemplating what to do.

1 minute ago, Steve-B said:

Shaun, you need a personal inspection of the car underneath whilst on a lift. I was visiting our local Triumph repairer today and a nice gent had brought in his early 70s Spitfire which looked ok (albeit dirty/dusty from storage). Once it was up on the lift, a littany of rust was found literally everywhere - sills, arches, floors, etc., etc., etc... The repairer's verdict was the car was very likely unrestorable(unless sizable sums expended, which Spitfires don't command price wise) and when we left the owner was on their drive contemplating what to do.

Thanks. Yes. He put it up on a lift and it all looked fine apart from some oil that he said he would look at before take it home. I will post some photos.

They've certainly been fair with the amount of information they've provided you. I guess now it's up to you. Good luck with the decision either way. 

Gareth

That's great to hear, was there anything that swung the decision that one in particular? 

I'm sure you'll have lots of fun with it. 

Gareth

Hi. The blue one was the best looking, it looked incredible in that colour but it sadly had a few paint defects that I think would have annoyed me. The Mallard blue one looks great too (although not as pretty as the blue one) but it has had 13000 euros spent on it in the last few years, the gearbox, overdrive, suspension etc. have all been overhauled in the past few years and it has only been driven a few hundred miles since. In a perfect world I would have liked to have waited for a blue one near enough to me to look at that was in as good a condition as the mallard blue one but I think I may have waited years to find my perfect one and as I said, the mallard blue one isn't ugly either:). The 3.5 hour drive home was great, no weird noises, it was very smooth on the autobahn and great on country roads.

I just need to take the overriders off and maybe have a look at improving how the canvas roof looks. It is a green version but has a few dark 'stains' on the top in the middle, maybe it was wet once when it was closed. It doesn't look bad, it is hardly noticeable but if anyone could tell me the best way to freshen that up that would be cool.