Just had the steering column out to put new bushes in & also had wheel alignment done. Now after full steering lock there is a faint click & I find that the steering wheel appears to be 'off centre' by about the equivalent of, say one spline! It appears to 're-centre' itself after a further full lock when for example I turn in my drive & manouvre into the garage. Very strange, any ideas anyone?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sounds like it's perhaps jumping on the splines-be very carefull indeed!

I've also known the upper column uj bolt to hit the bulkhead as it rotates.

Rob.

Sounds like it's perhaps jumping on the splines-be very carefull indeed!

I've also known the upper column uj bolt to hit the bulkhead as it rotates.

Rob.

Thanks Rob for your comments, now I am worried!

Can you perhaps expand. Which splines do you mean, down on the rack or at the steering wheel/column?

What do I look for with regard to the possibility of the upper column UJ bolt hitting bulkhead?

I will run it down to the workshop next week but what could they have done wrong. The column was rebushed & adjusted closer in towards the dashboard by way of the upper column clamp. I assume that meant they removed the whole steering column unit!

Monty,

As Rob says - be very careful.

If I were you I would check all the steering column bolts and clamps before driving it anywhere. I would also check the rack mounts and anything else the garage may have touched. It's all fairly basic (even to a non-engineer like me). Better still, get them to visit you - it's not only your life at risk (let them know the car is considered dangerous).

As far as I am aware, the only way the splines could get damaged is by slackening the clamps too much (e.g. by opening them out to dismantle the column) and then either clamping them up half-a-spline out on reassembly or forgetting to tighten them and letting them rotate at will.

Monty,

As Rob says - be very careful.

If I were you I would check all the steering column bolts and clamps before driving it anywhere. I would also check the rack mounts and anything else the garage may have touched. It's all fairly basic (even to a non-engineer like me). Better still, get them to visit you - it's not only your life at risk (let them know the car is considered dangerous).

As far as I am aware, the only way the splines could get damaged is by slackening the clamps too much (e.g. by opening them out to dismantle the column) and then either clamping them up half-a-spline out on reassembly or forgetting to tighten them and letting them rotate at will.

Thanks Brian, just done exactly as you said & found the upper clamp bolts could be tighter as the outer part of the column next to the rubber UJ was moving slightly on the inner section on full lock, enough to put the steering wheel slightly off centre. Will check again tomorrow to see if this has done the trick.

Many thanks to both of you for your concern. Appreciated by a 'new boy'.

Splined joints at top+bottom of column, also the steering wheel centre nut-remove plastic centre cap and check for any movement.

Also, check clamp at top of column just behind dashboard (2 0,5 inch bolts).

Easy to see if the top bolt is catching, it will scrape the bulkhead just below the bolt.

Good luck.

Rob.

Splined joints at top+bottom of column, also the steering wheel centre nut-remove plastic centre cap and check for any movement.

Also, check clamp at top of column just behind dashboard (2 0,5 inch bolts).

Easy to see if the top bolt is catching, it will scrape the bulkhead just below the bolt.

Good luck.

Rob.

Thanks Rob, found the clamp bolts needed bit of a tightening (slight movement on full lock of outer section where it clamps to inner). Hope this has cured it. Will try later.

I have been reading this thread with interest and particularly the idea of a better clamp( using TR6) bits from Revington. The set up on the earlier cars is a bit crude and more than once I've thought about modifications. I checked out revingtons website and couldnt find the parts you refer to. Can you give some more info Thanks

Julian