Vitesse Gearbox Swap on a TR6

44 minutes ago, BaulyCars said:

That's quite lovely, Marco - I will immediately spend lots of money on new car parts... :)

I'm sure someone makes a 'short shifter kit' for the MX5 box to reduce the long throw, given the aftermarket support for that car?

My only other question was whether it is worth buying the Vitesse kit (does it make it much easier), or whether it is cheaper to buy an MX5 box and work it out yourself.   

Short shifter sets are on the market but will not fit on TR4A - TR6 because of the H-console.

If you own a lathe, like to work with it, have time and see the challenge you should get a MX5 gb from „the scrap“ (reliable seller) fitted.

Cost me about 1,300 Euro because I had to buy a high torque starter too.

Reduced for the good money I got for selling my 3rd adapter flange (own challagne), ready to fit.

AIL4fc__EjMK-ZZ6B-hA1y1D0y_8VEfWtqV-bwP7

What is the actual price of the Vitesse set, please?

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320
36 minutes ago, BaulyCars said:

Sounds good, Marco, 

It's listed as £3,230.00 from Vitesse (although says 'sold out') and its $5,995.00 at Moss. 

I suppose it is tempting if its plug and play with the kit. 

I do hope its lighter than original box and OD unit, as that brings lots of benefits. 

My mate Jochen told me it is not completely a plug snd play kit

Edited by Z320
17 minutes ago, Z320 said:

I can weigh the one which is ready in my garage

AIL4fc-Syyh_A3-HcjOh7vVe42v-vb0Jhy8KgAFd

But if you want it you don't need to create reasons....

Thanks, Marco, kind offer - some googling suggests the MX5 box is 75lbs and the TR6 with O/D is 110lbs.

All the right reasons now!

I think with a new gearbox cover made for it there is also more legroom...

13 hours ago, BaulyCars said:

That's quite lovely, Marco - I will immediately spend lots of money on new car parts... :)

I'm sure someone makes a 'short shifter kit' for the MX5 box to reduce the long throw, given the aftermarket support for that car?

My only other question was whether it is worth buying the Vitesse kit (does it make it much easier), or whether it is cheaper to buy an MX5 box and work it out yourself.   

Cant remember who sold them but you used to be able to buy a short shift kit for the MX5 box but IMO never saw the need for it the gears were always easy to get quickly. I'd describe the changes to that of a precise rifle bolt action.

There's a few Morris Minor Travellers using both the GB and 1.6 Engine a fine alternative to electric! 

Out of interest what's the cost of a NA box nowadays I used to buy them for £50 or the NB Sport six speed for £120. I'd be interested to see how they stand up to high torque applications as the through bolts in the case would shear even with 12.9 rated bolts over 300ft/lb. Experimented a lot to try and overcome this particular issue but never cracked it.  

Andy