Lumenition

I fitted Petronix as was advised they are better value for money, easily found on e bay. The difference in engine running was amazing, very smooth.

Which proves that bearing wear in the distributor does affect the timing through the range of revs but probably more at high revs.

It's more than just removing the need to calibrate the points.

I missed this post initially due to problems with forum auto advice but, yes, it really is worth it. I fitted a Lumenition system on advice from someone whose judgement I trust & it’s worked perfectly for 2 ½ years.

The 6 is very susceptible to the condition of the ignition system components & fitting an electronic system does away with a lot of the maintenance liability with points, condenser etc & even the plugs to a certain extent!

I fitted Petronix as was advised they are better value for money, easily found on e bay. The difference in engine running was amazing, very smooth.

Which proves that bearing wear in the distributor does affect the timing through the range of revs but probably more at high revs.

It's more than just removing the need to calibrate the points.

That would be my advice as well, also more reliable IMHO.

I've been running the Lucas Sport coil with Blue Streak points ( these U.S. made points have a felt lubricator and vent hole in the stator ) with NGK BP7ES plugs gapped to 0.030" and the points now in the car have ~ 10,000 miles on them without re-adjustment. Never misses a beat, ever, and the plugs are nice and clean after 10,000 miles too. The distributor is a recent rebuild with less than 15,000 miles on it.

With this kind of succes I am not drawn to the modern replacements. <_<