Ticks, beef and bowels: alpha-gal

We have covered ticks before, and here's a recent update:

https://theconversation.com/ticks-are-becoming-a-growing-health-risk-in-the-uk-heres-why-211764

The introduction mentions 'alpha-gal' as another consequence of tick bites. I have alpha-gal , but as a result of wasp and bee stings. Alpha-gal can  be induced by wasp or bee stings. After several bee or wasp stings over a couple of years, all requiring flucoxacillin to treat cellulitis, I noticed periodic bowel-loosening that was associated with eating beef ca 24-36 hours beforehand. Useful site with lay summary of alpha-gal here: https://alphagalinformation.org/symptoms/

Alpha-gal has only been known for about ten years.

Peter

Ha, same here Rob….!

However, on a serious note Peter, although I do not often respond I really do appreciate your posts on here and especially the sharing of your wide and varied knowledge…. (Over the past few years I have increasingly suffered reactions to wasp and bee stings and insect bites but I would never have made the link to eating a big steak; something I now unexpectedly know I need to keep an eye on going forward..)

56 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Ha, same here Rob….!

However, on a serious note Peter, although I do not often respond I really do appreciate your posts on here and especially the sharing of your wide and varied knowledge…. (Over the past few years I have increasingly suffered reactions to wasp and bee stings and insect bites but I would never have made the link to eating a big steak; something I now unexpectedly know I need to keep an eye on going forward..)

Tony,  Tks, its nice to be appreciated. Its not that I keep all this stuff in my head..... Google scholar is my friend !  That's how I found alpha-gal once I had made the link between beef and dioreahayha.  Peter