High Torque starter troubleshooting

Tried to start my 2 today (has an aftermarket high torgue starter), and it turned over sluggishly/slowly, and then not at all.  No clicking.   I thought the battery might be down so I used a trickle charger and topped it off.  No joy.  So I checked and cleaned the positive ground battery cable and the connections to the starter motor.  No joy.  Then I checked the engine ground strap and made sure it was securely fastened, which it was.  Hard to access the ground strap so I did not remove and clean the contacts.  Horn and lights work, and when I press the starter button the ammeter shows a discharge.  My guess is a duff high torgue starter, but it has been quite reliable for years.  Till now, of course.  Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dan

Edited by 2long

The geared starters can have corrosion problems internally which can affect the high-current contacts inside. These only 'make' to power the motor after the pinion has moved into mesh.  It could be the travel is restricted somehow, or the contacts themselves might be at fault.  There should at least be a 'clonk' as the pinion moves into mesh. 

Edited by RobH

Dan do you run it through the original solenoid?

it’s how I did mine to allow the use of the remote starter button on the back. 

it was the solenoid that finally gave up at a two day race meeting. 

i carefully bridged the solenoid contacts to get the hi torque starter to work. 

you could try this as a diagnostic test. 

Edited by Hamish

I think you will find it's the internal contacts within the solenoid section of the starter. I had exactly the same thing happen it just stopped working. If you search on denso spares you will see that these contacts  are readily available and not very expensive. You maybe able to change them with the stater in the car (but do disconnect the battery first!)

i changed both the static contacts and the plunger and all returned to normal.

Hope this helps