Surrey mohair roof height

I went to Sunday's gathering at Shepto Mallet great to see so many TR in one place having had a good walk along the line of TR4 and TR4A one thing I did notice was owners with surrey roofs how well they fitted with regard to gap between window and at the top of door

My roof has in my opinion a high centre and should be sat down flatter would I be right in thinking if I bent the bars in a vice and slacken off the tension nuts it would make the roof sit flatter thus closing gap between roof and glass

My first thought is to slacken tension nuts off  and see how the roof then fits the roof is a tight fit at the front under the catchment rail 

Pictures attached please note door glass being replaced as both are badly scratched drivers glass about a inch too low passenger's glass height is right height when fully closed

Thanks in advance for your feedback

20230814_122039.jpg

20230814_122016 (2).jpg

20230727_150946 (1).jpg

Edited by Tiger123

Mine was the same when I first bought it; like Oblio’s hat. Essentially there’s too much fabric so altering the frame alone won’t get you where you want to be. 
Mine has a TR6 header conversion so I could unstick the fabric from the rail and lose a bit bringing the peak down much lower. 

Yes your never going to get a decent fit by lowering the frame as its just going to mean the fabric will be too slack. Im afraid its going to either need altering by a trimmer or replacing.

Stuart.

6 minutes ago, Tiger123 said:

Hi Stuart I am going for a replacement roof local trimmer for £250 mohair just need to decide how much shorter to make the roof!

TBH I would go for Vinyl as you can get a much better fit with the bit of stretch it affords. Plus its easier to fold and store and keep clean.You can get a Vinyl in that colour.

Stuart.

As a follow up I set about today working to lower the roof which now sits much flatter as I saw other cars at Shepton Mallet it was just a question  of wind the nut anti clockwise in my case right to the end

Job was made harder as half the threaded rod was coated in black paint fouling the thread but dipped in paint stripper for a hour and wired brushed there after solved the problem

Now onto door glass replacing and adjusting