Inner Drive shaft replacing oil seals

Hi all, looking for some advise.

My rear axle is leaking from both inner drive shafts and the pinion seals.  I'm lucky enough to have a spear differential, so thinking i would replace the seals on the spare one and fit this in place later in the year.

So my first question is probably a stupid one, but i'll ask anyway.  Are the threads sided (left and right) on the inner drive shaft? 

One came undone easily enough but the other is not budging and I am assuming it is left hand thread.

I've bent a few rods trying to stop the shaft from turning (Jamming them against the square plate),  So if someone has a nice tool recommendation for that i would appreciate it.

Thanks Gordon

Just now, Lockjack said:

Hi all, looking for some advise.

My rear axle is leaking from both inner drive shafts and the pinion seals.  I'm lucky enough to have a spear differential, so thinking i would replace the seals on the spare one and fit this in place later in the year.

So my first question is probably a stupid one, but i'll ask anyway.  Are the threads sided (left and right) on the inner drive shaft? 

One came undone easily enough but the other is not budging and I am assuming it is left hand thread.

I've bent a few rods trying to stop the shaft from turning (Jamming them against the square plate),  So if someone has a nice tool recommendation for that i would appreciate it.

Thanks Gordon

Sorry forgot to mention it's a TR4a IRS

The inner drive shafts that poke out the diff are each held in place by 4 hex headed screws.   They are 1/2 af from memory.  The flange on each side is attached by a large nut.   Theses nuts are both rh threaded.

Consider fitting speedi sleeve to the surface where the seal runs if there is a groove worn.  

The number for the pinion input drive flange can be found here.

If you fit them to the output shafts, please let us know the size, so the file can be updated.

Removing the side shaft flange from the stub shaft can be a challenge   Be careful not to bend them in your enthusiasm 

The shafts are different lengths left to right so get em back in the right holes!

Speedi Sleeve - Made by SKF to repair worn seal areas of shafts etc.

1. Half Shaft Girling solid axle. TR3/3A/3B/4/4A .  where the axle tube seal wears on the axle shaft.    -    SKF 99131  or SKF CR 99131 (CR is uprated item)

2. Pinion Drive Flange on the nose of the axle/diff.   TR2/3/3A/3B/4/4A/4A IRS/250/5/6.  -  SKF 99149  or  SKF CR 99149  (CR is uprated item)  (Moss 520-500)

3.  Front Crank Pulley. Wet liner Engine . TR 2/3/3A/3B/4/4A/4A IRS   -  SKF 99175  or SKF CR 99175.  (1/2" wide) (CR Type is uprated item) (Moss 520-505)

NB.  You can use SKF 99174 or SKF CR 99174 which are 3/8" wide and need care when installing to get in the right position over the wear groove of the engine front pulley drive flange.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
36 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

The inner drive shafts that poke out the diff are each held in place by 4 hex headed screws.   They are 1/2 af from memory.  The flange on each side is attached by a large nut.   Theses nuts are both rh threaded.

Consider fitting speedi sleeve to the surface where the seal runs if there is a groove worn.  

The number for the pinion input drive flange can be found here.

If you fit them to the output shafts, please let us know the size, so the file can be updated.

Removing the side shaft flange from the stub shaft can be a challenge   Be careful not to bend them in your enthusiasm 

The shafts are different lengths left to right so get em back in the right holes!

Speedi Sleeve - Made by SKF to repair worn seal areas of shafts etc.

1. Half Shaft Girling solid axle. TR3/3A/3B/4/4A .  where the axle tube seal wears on the axle shaft.    -    SKF 99131  or SKF CR 99131 (CR is uprated item)

2. Pinion Drive Flange on the nose of the axle/diff.   TR2/3/3A/3B/4/4A/4A IRS/250/5/6.  -  SKF 99149  or  SKF CR 99149  (CR is uprated item)  (Moss 520-500)

3.  Front Crank Pulley. Wet liner Engine . TR 2/3/3A/3B/4/4A/4A IRS   -  SKF 99175  or SKF CR 99175.  (1/2" wide) (CR Type is uprated item) (Moss 520-505)

NB.  You can use SKF 99174 or SKF CR 99174 which are 3/8" wide and need care when installing to get in the right position over the wear groove of the engine front pulley drive flange.

Hi thanks for the prompt reply.  So both these large end nuts are RH thread, glad i asked.

I don't think i will need to speedy sleeves, as the differential looks pretty good (Pinion end was in excellent condition).  I know it has not been in service since at least 1989 when the previous owner purchased the Gearbox, Prop-shaft and differential and all have been in dry storage ever since. 

Thanks for your help, if i do use them I'll get back to you with the sizes.

Gordon