Disrtributor Drive Dog Pin

Hi
I am having great difficulty trying to remove the pin at the base of the distributor shaft that goes through the drive dog and locks it all together. I have tried to hammer it out using a punch. The owner of the garage, who looks after my daily drive has also tried. H as any one had experience of this and can offer any tips?

It would be nice to know why you want to remove it, I would think you would have to use a press to get out, steady pressure you cant get with a hammer. Surely it would be easier to change the cam gear position, or move the plug leads round ...

There is a picture in the manual, I would have to dig it out, of the orintition of the dog drive to the rotor, let me know if you need it.

John

Edited by John L

This bit?

image.thumb.png.7dc07ac58fc31826aba9fcba15761808.png

Yes the pin on the distributor drive dog can be an horror to remove.

I think the dog is often swaged each side once in place to stop them falling out/ being tampered with.  

Try Distributor Doctor.?

OR

Perhaps It is a Mills pin that will only come out in one direction?

try this 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Be careful with a new replacement pin. A Devon Group member had one break shortly after a full rebuild. It allowed the shaft to lift out of the oil pump resulting in a wrecked engine. 

Hi
As ever thanks for your replies. To answer your question John I have just fitted the EFI system supplied by “ Classic Fuel Injection”. Because the ECU also controls the ignition timing the two shafts in the distributor need to be locked together, to stop the automatic advance. To do this I need to remove the pin, this will allow the shafts to be removed.

1 hour ago, Brent C said:

Hi
As ever thanks for your replies. To answer your question John I have just fitted the EFI system supplied by “ Classic Fuel Injection”. Because the ECU also controls the ignition timing the two shafts in the distributor need to be locked together, to stop the automatic advance. To do this I need to remove the pin, this will allow the shafts to be removed.

If you are attempting to disable the centrifugal advance in the distributor then just remove the two springs that give the resistance and replace them with a length of lock wire.   That will stop the rotor arm shaft moving differently to the driven shaft from the cam gear.