LED Indicator Conundrum 1969 UK TR6

Evening all 

This has me puzzled and stumped as to the cause.

I've finally today fitted the LED headlamps along with LED side lights which all work fine.

When I made the loom I tested the front indicators/repeaters with incandescent bulbs and every thing worked fine and still does even with the rears changed to LED. So changing the fronts to LED should have worked fine.  However when one side is flashing so is the other side front and repeater but only dimly. With the earth wire removed from the lamps it's still the same so I guess the units are earthing through the body.

There is no hazard switch to complicate things and I have a LED flasher unit fitted.

Disconnect either the GW or RG from the indicator switch under the dash still have the same issue. 

Replacing the front LED indicator bulbs with incandescent all is well even though the repeater is still LEDs.

Just a thought and I'm not sure if I have would changing the dash green flasher bulb in the speedo to LED have any effect?

So in summary the indicators work but I'd rather have LEDs all round.

Any suggestions as to the issue?  

Thanks

Andy

Edited by PodOne
More information

The TR6 has a odd way of connecting the dash indicator bulb. It is connected between the LH and RH lamps and so is powered from one side and  'earths' through the bulbs on whichever side is NOT indicating.    Normally with incandescent bulbs that will have little effect as the dash bulb is small and its current is too low to light the actual indicator bulb but with your low-current LED bulbs it will be visible.  If you disconnect the dash bulb I expect the effect will disappear.  

It can be fixed using a couple of diodes.   I will add an amendment to this post with the circuit, when I have drawn it. 

Edit- here

indicator.jpg.140c1bd0db8e67580f668eb53bb4d7ec.jpg

The connections to the dash lamp go to two diodes connected in opposition, and the bulb is connected between the junction of the diodes and earth. 

Edited by RobH
update
1 minute ago, reginald said:

I had to replace the dash indicator to LED to cure similar issue

You need a special bi-directional LED bulb to do that (they are available) and depending on its current rating there may still be a slight illumination of the indicators.  the other way is to use a normal LED bulb and a bridge rectifier like this:

volvv.jpg

Thanks Rob for your help.

After spending all afternoon fiddling around I would never have figured that out in a hundred years!

Having had a sit down and a think I might have stuck a LED in there as I seem to remember not replacing the red alternator one with LED as it fails to trigger the alternator to begin charging.   

I'll have a look at the weekend at the dash bulb and report back.

An illuminating experience!

Andy

Update.

The dash bulb was LED. 

With LED Indicator/repeaters fitted and the LED dash bulb removed problem resolved.

Replace the dash with incandescent bulb problem returns and the issue is worse with the rear indicators lights now involved.

Will the diode fix apply to using the LED bulb??

Thanks

Andy 

Yes Andy.   Use the arrangement from my first post as that will work for both LED or normal bulbs. 

If you haven't got any suitable diodes and can't easily get some, PM me with your address and I'll put a couple in the mail. 

Edited by RobH

Thanks Rob

I have the diodes you suggest in the diagram from a stash inherited from my Farther in Law.

Because I'm a bit thick! Just to be clear then the SW wires GR and GW to the neg end of the diodes. Positive ends together to one of the bulb holders tails and the remaining other build wire to earth?

Andy

Thanks Rob

I'll report the result for others.

Andy

On 7/8/2023 at 2:48 PM, PodOne said:

RESULT - Thank you Rob :D

Andy

Appreciate you have sorted this issue now @PodOne with the (as ever) brilliant advise of @RobH but I just wanted to share for anyone else planning a switch to LED my recent experience with a setup that thankfully worked perfectly first time!
I purchased indicator bulbs, dash trafficator bulb and flasher unit from https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/. I believe the key element is the trafficator bulb that as @RobHmentioned in a previous post has no polarity (bi-directional).

16 hours ago, Roadrunner Paul said:

Hi Gark8bit

What is the reference number for the dash trafficator bulb for your TR6 please?

Kind regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

Apologies for the slight delay in responding to your question. Link to bulb ref. No. 12VE10SHGR_1  https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/12-volt-collection/products/glb987-e10mes-green-8-smd-led-flat-bulbs-dashboard-gauge-lighting

Just to add and I have no explanation here is that the green indicator LED bulb was from classic car leds but still required Robs fix rather than a bi-directional led.

I wonder if I was supplied with a "normal" dash green instrument led.

Anyways its fixed now and I learned something!

Andy