125 BHP

Guest richbrooks

Guest richbrooks

Hello,

I have seen a car which seems to be in good condition but it is a 125 BHP model.

I thought they came in 105 bhp (USA) or 150 bhp (UK). Is this the case or am i wrong.

Can the power be uprated from 125 too 150 without to many complications and expence and if so is this a good idea.

Thanks.

Hello,

I have seen a car which seems to be in good condition but it is a 125 BHP model.

I thought they came in 105 bhp (USA) or 150 bhp (UK). Is this the case or am i wrong.

Can the power be uprated from 125 too 150 without to many complications and expence and if so is this a good idea.

Thanks.

From the VTR website:

"The powerful six-cylinder engine is a reliable until, whether with UK-market petrol injection (150bhp) or US-market carbureted (104 bhp) fuel delivery. The UK petrol intected version was de-rated to 125 bhp in 1973 by by camshaft alterations and revised fuel injection metering. These changes made the TR6 smoother and more flexible."

In general, you can take any TR6 motor and bring it up to at least the150bhp level through changes in cam, head, pushrods, dizzy etc. Even the carburated models. Basically retrofit the 150hp engine parts or equivalent and either fuel inject or add better carburation (webers, triple Stromberg/SU) or do nothing to the engine and just bolt on the $3000 Moss supercharger kit :-)

Stan

The differences between 125 (later TR6's) and the earlier 150bhp ones are not as much as the notional 125bhp would imply.

The output figures are quoted using different standards (the 150 were SAE figures and the 125s were DIN figures) the 150bhp cars are believed to give about 137 if they were measured according to DIN standards so the real difference is probably 12 or so BHP.

The real difference between the engines is the camshaft (& minor changes to fueling & distributor timing to suit)

There are a few differences in detailing of the cars such as slightly different inlet manifolds and throtttle linkages which don't affect performance but do make it trickier to balance the throttles.

However I'd not dismiss a car because it was a later (CR series car) rather than an ealier CP series car. the difference isn't enough. Body & chassis condition is much more important to the purchase price!

If you want to you can swap camshafts easily enough although if you go to that extent it also opens up a range of other possibilities with after market cams....