Fuel gauge update

I removed the sender unit which looked as new checked the resistance which was all as the book(wiring diagram supplied by Howard) the float had a small amount of liquid in it I presumed it was petrol I fitted a new float same diameter but about 6mm longer checked  the cable g/b from gauge to sender all good the gauge then read 3/4 full in the meantime I managed to get hold of a new old sock fuel gauge duly fitted gauge then read 1/2 full filled it up gauge read near as admit full BUT on returning home needle on gauge fluctuating especially round corners any advice , was thinking maybe put old gauge back in and try it again 

Possibly the 'wiper' contact in the sender is making poor contact with the resistance wire. That can happen if the unit has been in storage and unused for some time, as oxide can build up on the wire.  Normally the wiper is moving all the time and scrapes the oxide away. I don't know how easy it is to get to the insides of the sender but a good spray with contact cleaner on the resistance coil plus cycling of the wiper arm might sort it.