Speedo electronic conversion - needle sticking

I have fitted a speedy cables converted speedo to my PI, it appears to be working reasonably accurately, I used the TR6 calibration figure 5389 as a start point. The problem I have now is that the speedo stops at a given speed, 20..30..40..currently at 90, when you drive off it registers the speed above that figure but again, reasonably accurately. I have emailed Speedy for help on this but thought I'd ask here as I know a number of members have these units fitted, it's the same as the RTR ones.

Ian

On my other car Speedy Cables have just converted (repaird) a different speedo by putting in a completely new electronic unit. My old electronic unit worked perfectlu but the mileometer failed and the old unts are no longer available. I thus have their standard electronic speedo innards in my old casing.

I could not get the unit to work correctly with wild results. Taking several days and even sending it back when Steve, their engineer, videoed the unit working I found that the setting of the sender unit was critical. In my case the sensor was originally taken from a 6-bladed fan and worked fine, but did not with this unit. In the end I had to change the sender to a new one being an EMP 34-1 sender (seems pretty standard model) and now fitted covering six bolt heads. The distance is less than 2mm so very close indeed. Only when I did this did it all work correctly.

My experience of Speedy cables is that you need to phone them. I'm not sure I have ever had an e-mail answered.

If this is not enough detail, please come back to me.

5 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

On my other car Speedy Cables have just converted (repaird) a different speedo by putting in a completely new electronic unit. My old electronic unit worked perfectlu but the mileometer failed and the old unts are no longer available. I thus have their standard electronic speedo innards in my old casing.

I could not get the unit to work correctly with wild results. Taking several days and even sending it back when Steve, their engineer, videoed the unit working I found that the setting of the sender unit was critical. In my case the sensor was originally taken from a 6-bladed fan and worked fine, but did not with this unit. In the end I had to change the sender to a new one being an EMP 34-1 sender (seems pretty standard model) and now fitted covering six bolt heads. The distance is less than 2mm so very close indeed. Only when I did this did it all work correctly.

My experience of Speedy cables is that you need to phone them. I'm not sure I have ever had an e-mail answered.

If this is not enough detail, please come back to me.

Thanks Richard, I spoke with Tracy yesterday and they will have my speedo tomorrow. In my case I used the transducer that Remington sell, it replaces the speedo drive cable and connects to the OD housing. I used this type of sender on my TR6 without issue so I am confident that it is ok, it's the speedo head that is faulty  here, effectively a DOA unit as it had only just been fitted, hopefully they'll turn it round a bit quicker than the 20 weeks they took to make it in the first place.

I can't comment on the problem you have with the speedo sticking but my GT6 has a Speedy Cables electronic speedo driven by a Revington transducer fitted to the overdrive speedo cable output.

No problems with this setup in over a year. The Revington transducer isn't the cheapest, but it seems to work well and is easy to fit.

Nigel

21 hours ago, Nigel Triumph said:

I can't comment on the problem you have with the speedo sticking but my GT6 has a Speedy Cables electronic speedo driven by a Revington transducer fitted to the overdrive speedo cable output.

No problems with this setup in over a year. The Revington transducer isn't the cheapest, but it seems to work well and is easy to fit.

Nigel

The one in my TR worked fine for 3 years, this is a speedo head issue, nothing to do with the transducer.