Setting Ignition timing

Hi All,

The engine on my TR4 is now running having been apart over the winter.  However on start up I had to turn the idle screws in (HS6) about four turns to get the car to idle and even then it would not respond to the throttle at all.  So I set about checking the ignition timing - rotating the distributor clockwise resulted in the revs rising to over 2500 rpm and the engine sounding a lot better.  As the car has a piper yellow cam I can't use (I don't think) the stock timing numbers from the manual to time it.   I was sure that I had set up the rotor arm to point at number 1 on the compression stroke when the car was put together, but now I find myself having to rotate the distributor so the vacuum is pointing towards the engine (and feel it could go further).  I am now thinking that I have installed the distributor 180 degrees out - could this be the cause?  Is what I have experienced a symptom of this?  Grateful for any advice - just need to get it running well enough to get the car to a garage for a proper tune.

Thanks

Myles

Probably not 180 degs out,but just 1 tooth out on the oil pump/ distributor drive shaft. Does not matter unduly  as long as you can achieve correct ign timing. Do you have a strobe for setting?

Bob 

Edited by Lebro
2 hours ago, woodward said:

Hi All,

The engine on my TR4 is now running having been apart over the winter.  However on start up I had to turn the idle screws in (HS6) about four turns to get the car to idle and even then it would not respond to the throttle at all.  So I set about checking the ignition timing - rotating the distributor clockwise resulted in the revs rising to over 2500 rpm and the engine sounding a lot better.  As the car has a piper yellow cam I can't use (I don't think) the stock timing numbers from the manual to time it.   I was sure that I had set up the rotor arm to point at number 1 on the compression stroke when the car was put together, but now I find myself having to rotate the distributor so the vacuum is pointing towards the engine (and feel it could go further).  I am now thinking that I have installed the distributor 180 degrees out - could this be the cause?  Is what I have experienced a symptom of this?  Grateful for any advice - just need to get it running well enough to get the car to a garage for a proper tune.

Thanks

Myles

Did you take the front crank pulley assembly to bits when you had the engine apart?    Or does the engine have a narrow belt conversion?    You need to determine top dead centre of no 1 cylinder and confirm the mark on the crank pulley aligns with the timing cover pointer.