TR7 Cooling System

I have completed a Timing Chain replacement on my 1982 TR7 and need to refill the radiator. My car has an Expansion Tank, but does not have a bleed facility on the top of the Thermostat Housing so is it just a case of filling the Radiator / Expansion Tank without having to bleed the system.

Thanks for any info.

Cliff

It can be quite difficult to get all the air out, so I made a funnel by cutting down a 2l drink bottle & wrapping the thread with PTFE tape to form a seal when pushed into the header tank filler cap hole. I then overfill the header tank and squeeze the hoses until bubbles stop coming out while topping up with additional coolant if necessary. 

Once you are happy with this, replace the cap and drive the car as usual. Any excess coolant in the header tank will be discharged onto the road via the vent pipe when its hot & the level must always be above the header tank low level warning sensor.

(If you are not sure if this sensor is working, first turn on the ignition and it should illuminate for a few seconds before going out, then disconnect the wire to the sensor from the header tank and it should come on after a short delay)

Howard

• 11 months later...

I took my newly acquired 2.0L TR7 out this morning for a 30 mile trip. The temperature gauge only came up to 1/4. I measured the temperature with a contact probe either side  of the thermostat and the top and bottom of the thermostat housing was 57 deg C. The radiator was cool (as I would expect if not up to temperature), as was the expansion bottle. I assume that there is no thermostat fitted at the moment.

Any suggestions why the engine would be running so cool? I have a 400 mile round trip to Anglesy next weekend, and I'm a little concerned! OR, is this normal?

TIA

John P