1969 TR6 Steering Wheel - defective horn push (part 150277)...

Driving my TR6 to the MoT Test Centre yesterday, checking all was well - when it came to pushing the horn push no horn.  After 3 pushes the centre cap with Triumph "Medallion" motif exploded outwards, with the surrounding "chromed" ring and inner dished horn activating disc scattered into the cockpit!

The MoT Tester was excellent on hearing my predicament (I had tried but failed to reassemble the horn push in situ, and the horn still did not work, with the horn push still loose and exploding into the cockpit).  He tested everything else, even managing to get the horn ot work, I ordered a replacement horn push from Moss (I think that they are all made by the same source irrespective at to which parts dealer you purchase them from) and the TR6 passed the MoT Test with flying colours and no advisories.

Has anyone got any recommendations as to a better set up???  The image is of my steering wheel with horn push before yesterday...

Mark

20230117_143643.jpg

Mark,

I think many of us use this setup, albeit with a different rubber surround.
That rubber ring should not influence the horn push however.

The horn push relies on an interference fit in the hub.

Also, the brush is available in 2 lengths, so maybe you have the longer brush installed but actually need the shorter version? If so, this may lead to a higher force so the push will pop out earlier.

Others may come along soon; maybe I’m wrong here, not entirely sure.

Waldi

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

Mark,

I think many of us use this setup, albeit with a different rubber surround.
That rubber ring should not influence the horn push however.

The horn push relies on an interference fit in the hub.

Also, the brush is available in 2 lengths, so maybe you have the longer brush installed but actually need the shorter version? If so, this may lead to a higher force so the push will pop out earlier.

Others may come along soon; maybe I’m wrong here, not entirely sure.

Waldi

You need the longer push with the '69 wheel Waldi.

I think that it is down to the "chromed" ring which retains the Triumph Medallion plastic horn push disc - this has 3 "tangs" which need to be splayed outwards to prevent the spring pushing the Medallion Disc and dished metal contact disc which sits underneath the Medallion Disc out of the black plastic housing. 

I have ordered both a new Moss Horn Push as well as a used one from Revingtons...

As the housing comprises 2 interlocking / glued together parts I will have to disassemble the housing parts, fit the metal contact disc with Medallion Disc and chromed ring, splay the chromed ring's tangs outwards to engage properly into the plastic housing upper half, before reassembling the lower plastic housing half with main operating spring attached and glueing the 2 halves together...

Fingers crossed...what could possibly go wrong?