TR3A Aluminium Radiator - Upgrade

The fan of my 1971 Kenlowe didn't look like that shown in David's photo.  It was made of white plastic and had a circular rim round the periphery, mating with the end of each of the blades.

And, as James stated, to accommodate the change to negative earth (in 1993), it was necessary solely to swap the connections in order to keep it blowing in the correct direction.

Ian Cornish

Interesting. I checked for earth continuity on both sides of motor and got none, so I swapped over the connections to the pos and neg feeds. I switched the fan on and did it turn in the opposite direction? No! It refused to turn at all and the ammeter blipped to full discharge! Luckily the fuse didn’t blow. I checked to see if the fan was free to turn in both directions and it was. I swapped the leads back to their original positions and the fan is happily blowing through the radiator again. Could it be that the brushes are worn so they let the armature rotate one way but not the other?

20 minutes ago, David Arrowsmith said:

Interesting. I checked for earth continuity on both sides of motor and got none, so I swapped over the connections to the pos and neg feeds. I switched the fan on and did it turn in the opposite direction? No! It refused to turn at all and the ammeter blipped to full discharge! Luckily the fuse didn’t blow. I checked to see if the fan was free to turn in both directions and it was. I swapped the leads back to their original positions and the fan is happily blowing through the radiator again. Could it be that the brushes are worn so they let the armature rotate one way but not the other?

Will go digging in the shed tomorrow.  I may have a used sucker type Kenlowe of the same design, it is yours for the postage if I find it.

12 hours ago, David Arrowsmith said:

That’s incredibly generous of you Peter, thank you!

The Kenlowe fan and motor are found and tested.    All working fine.  
Have marked it for + or - connection to give clock or anti clock motor rotation.  

PM me your address and I will get it in the post next week.

IMG_4207.jpeg

Thanks Peter, address, etc PM’d. That’s really kind of you. I have only fairly recently purchased my TR2 and I am still getting to know it. Looking at the best way to get at the fan to swap them over, I was surprised to see (what looks like) the original radiator with a proper hole through it for the starting handle to engage with the crankshaft pulley!

6 hours ago, David Arrowsmith said:

Thanks Peter, address, etc PM’d. That’s really kind of you. I have only fairly recently purchased my TR2 and I am still getting to know it. Looking at the best way to get at the fan to swap them over, I was surprised to see (what looks like) the original radiator with a proper hole through it for the starting handle to engage with the crankshaft pulley!

The PM has not arrived.