Last night I was late to bed and the last task was to fire up the Bosch  dishwasher. I pressed the go button and a fault code came up E 19.  After some searching it seems as if I need to replace the Heater Exchange Outlet Valve. I have watched two videos and it looks more straight forward than fitting a distributor to my 3A. 

Is it worth buying in the valve at £22.75 delivered, from a spares company or should I call up the local engineer ??

Meanwhile I am washing up and drying which I have not done for years.

Any advice would be useful.

Richard & B

Hello Richard,

It depends how much you like spending money.

I would guess a plumber will cost you £50 just to walk through your front door.

But you will get a guarantee (I would hope.)

I do all my domestic repairs myself, and never had a problem. Recently I’ve noticed that it’s getting more difficult to get up from the floor though if the job entails working at a low level, which it usually does.

I recently changed a pump in our washing machine and it entailed tipping the machine over on its side (concrete blocks and all.) It was awkward getting inside the machine and even more difficult to lift it back up to it’s correct position.

(These sort of things never become apparent when watching a You Tube video.)

I think the choice depends on how much spare cash you have, although I still get a nice feeling when I’ve fixed something myself.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

I  am always repairing things at home and mostly in the garage. Our local repair man is £80.00 call out plus parts. Tomorrow I plan to buy a valve from Ransom Spares if they have one in stock ?? I hope that I have made an accurate diagnosis.

The work at home always takes longer than you think.:rolleyes:

Thanks  Richard & B

FWIW to prove the dishwasher is indeed repaired, put a selection of garage and garden tools through it :P

(I'll get me coat...)

It was useful to watch the Utube before starting the valve replacement. It was a bit awkward in a small space.  After about 1/2 hour I fired up the dishwasher and water was leaking on to the floor. There was a new error code E15. On a closer inspection the new valve was not quite correctly lined up. I removed it and used some Castrol rubber grease for a very light smear on the sealing o ring. I pushed it harder into place and twisted it carefully to lock it.  It lined up better.  I ran a short wash programme. It went through well and now we will give it a proper wash cycle. after lunch.

My son left Devon at about 5.00 pm and was driving on the M25 with arrival in Sussex planned for 9.00 pm. But the motorway was flooded and he did not get here until 2.15 am on 1.4.23. 

Meanwhile  the Tr is out in the garage and starting very well. I hope the roads dry off and I can go out ??

Thanks Richard & B