Car outside - sit it on something?

Hi all,

Unfortunately, due to delay in getting the garage built, my new TR6 will have to be outside for 2 weeks :( . I have bought a quality cover for it which is fully breathable and fleece lined but would you advise to sit the car on a non-permeable surface like polythene or something? To try and stop any moisture rising up from below - gravel drive. Any other tips on good (a contradiction probably) outdoor storage?

The important thing is not to trap moisture. that's when it goes to work and does the damage.

Personally I would let the air flow through and around the car whenever possible but just put the cover on when it looks like rain.

Trouble with my TR is that when it gets wet it leaks and the damp can sit under the carpet for months so if it gets wet I take them all out.....major job.

Hi Steve

Be Careful:

My nice soft breathable waterproof cover rubbed the paint off the front edge of my bonnet as it gently flapped in the breeze! Even though it was strapped tight with additional straps.

One of the forum contributors recommended putting a piece of foam pipe insulation along the front where the cover was rubbing. Works a treat!

My TR6 has been outside for a year waiting for a "garage clearout" I will say that other than the "rubbing" problem the cover is brilliant. I keep the car widows open when it's covered and have not found any condensation or dampness anywhere in the car so far.

Tony

Hi Steve

Be Careful:

My nice soft breathable waterproof cover rubbed the paint off the front edge of my bonnet as it gently flapped in the breeze! Even though it was strapped tight with additional straps.

One of the forum contributors recommended putting a piece of foam pipe insulation along the front where the cover was rubbing. Works a treat!

My TR6 has been outside for a year waiting for a "garage clearout" I will say that other than the "rubbing" problem the cover is brilliant. I keep the car widows open when it's covered and have not found any condensation or dampness anywhere in the car so far.

Tony

Thanks guys,

Alec...oh she'll be driven and enjoyed have no fear, and wet too if I feel like it. It's just minimising damage for the times it's sitting there before getting into the new garage.

Tony....have heard that on other threads - is your cover fleece lined? My drive is surrounded by hedging and pretty sheltered luckily, but will keep an eye on that. Top tip on the open windows, will do that I think. If it was a clearout that was needed, I'd probably be in the same position as you a year down the line....luckily this is a new garage so not had time for me to mess it up yet, a la my other sheds :)

Unfortunately, due to delay in getting the garage built, my new TR6 will have to be outside for 2 weeks

Steve

Don't forget to inform your insurance company the car will be stored outside for a while, because if the worst happens these buggers will look for any excuse not to pay out!

Leaving the window open is a good idea of Tony's (I know where my next TR6 is coming from Tony and it’s not Steve's! :D ), but give some careful thought to the above point and immobilize it somehow.

Cheers

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Smith
Steve

Don't forget to inform your insurance company the car will be stored outside for a while, because if the worst happens these buggers will look for any excuse not to pay out!

Leaving the window open is a good idea of Tony's (I know where my next TR6 is coming from Tony and it’s not Steve's! :D ), but give some careful thought to the above point and immobilize it somehow.

Cheers

Andrew

Hi Andrew, good points. But already checked and I'm covered whether it's garaged, drived or out on the road - good area insurance-wise out in the countrie boy! :) Though if it was out on our road I'd give it 2 mins before some idiot stacked into it. I am hoping to minimise the time outside of course....this car normally sits in a cair-o-tent and will again once garaged away.