Clutch actuating rod length

Investigating a stuck clutch I was checking the slave cylinder operation and realised that the clutch actuating rod appears to be quite short.

There only seems to be about 10mm protruding into the slave cylinder which means that it must be right on the limit of operation. This is on a TR7 Sprint with 5 speed LT77 gearbox.

Anyone tell me if this looks normal?.

Jerry

Clutch slave (1).jpg

Clutch slave (2).jpg

Edited by jerrytr5

If this happened out on the road with 50k mileage + clutch parts,  its possible that the fulcrum pin has worn its way through the clutch fork.  As a result there’s not much left for the rod to push against, hence the 10mm.

Back in the day this happened to me as I was leaving the driveway.  I pushed down on the clutch to change from 1st to 2nd gear.  The pedal went all the way to the floor with next to no resistance, it came back up easily enough and then went solid with no movement as the hydraulic fluid took up the slack.

This prompted my conversion to V8 with S & S parts.

Edited by BusheyTrader

I recently had the engine & box out and checked all the clutch components which appeared OK. There was some wear but nothing excessive.

Wasn't till installed that I noticed this oddity.

Clutch works ok affter freeing off the plate. Must remember to investigate next time the engine is out. If it stops working I'll try a spacer in the slave cylinder.

Cheers,

Jerry

The clutch fork, slave cylinder and rod are the same in 5 speed LT77 2.0L and V8 mode.  However the fulcrum pins are different lengths. IIRC the V8 one is shorter but it was over 30 years ago that I fitted mine.

Rimmers supply the rod with a new slave cylinder but not on its own……