RIP John Brown

I never met John Brown but he was a highly successful rally co-driver across four decades, starting his rally career in 1959 in a TR2 and in 1961 was winning nav alongside Erik Carlsson on the RAC. His later crew partners included, I believe, Brian Culcheth. He went on to be a pioneer in rally organisation, and the world of historic endurance rallying owes him a huge debt. He also found time to be the rallying editor on Motoring News.

Here's a brief account: https://heroevents.eu/article/obituary-john-brown/

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, that’s really upsetting.. I knew John well from back in the early HERO days, he was an incredibly interesting character…. Don’t think anyone will mind me repeating it now - I used to say it openly to him back in the day -  he was right up amongst the most wonderfully ‘politically incorrect’ people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting and the world was certainly a better place for it!….. He often did not seem to have a‘filter’, he refreshingly just said it as he saw it but never with any malice…

All of my greatest rallying memories and (some very limited successes) are all down to John (and the incredible team he always managed to put together - very much including his quirkily charming wife and daughter)

Rest in Peace John….. the classic rally world is a much poorer place now you have gone