Driving Attire

I read an article stating that you could be fined up to £1000 if you are deemed to be inappropriately dressed whilst driving. This covers bulky jackets, and gloves hats.

So where does that leave us with our flying helmets and jackets. I will have to stop driving suppose in the the winter months, Yeh like thas  is going to happen.

The world has gone nuts.

Another article stated that you would also be fined if you or your passenger used a mobile phone or satnav.

Rod

Perhaps you shouldn't believe everything you read Rod?  These reports all seem to date from when the Highway Code was updated but all it actually says is:  

"Rule 97  -  ‘the clothing and footwear you choose to wear whilst you are driving must not prevent you from using the controls in the correct manner.’

The details quoted are mere supposition and embellishment on the part of the reporters to make the story more shocking. 

Edited by RobH

Perhaps more valid is a recent RAC newsletter report that nearly a million UK drivers risk a £1000 fine!

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motoring-news/almost-a-million-drivers-at-risk-of-receiving-1000-fine-could-you-be-one-of/

Look at your photocard licence, and item 4b, the date when it expires.   Has it?   That date will be ten years from the date of issue, and then every three years after you reach 70, which given the average age of TRers, will creep up on you rather quickly!   You can renew online: https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

John

Unfortunately there are certain health conditions  which preclude on-line renewal.  I had to apply by post last year and the process took nearly 6 months to complete so even though I applied early, the licence had expired part way through. After making the application you may still be allowed to drive for 12 months unless instructed otherwise, even though the old licence may have expired.  You just have to hope the process can be completed within that time. 

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/inf1886-can-i-drive-while-my-application-is-with-dvla

Yes, indeed there are, RobH, in fact a whole index of conditions: https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving/find-condition-a-to-z

Many are those that may arise with age, some you may be born with, but all are significant risks for a driver and their ability to drive safely.   I'm sorry if any apply to you,but hope you will agree that they are cited for your protection and that of others.

John

Yes John - it is sensible precaution but it would help if DVLA pulled their finger out.  I was just pointing out that not everyone can apply on-line.  (I can't really understand why not, as all you are doing is filling in a form after all.) 

Hah! Apparently, 30 is a dangerous age, especially if you are called Cynthia, but I have reached an age when I am thought to be dangerous by Motorsport UK.  Last year, I submitted my GP's assessment and included a list of my medication with my race licence renewal.  They replied with a demand for a letter from my cardiologist, who they wanted to take responsibility for my driving safely (!!).    It took three months before I could see him, which in the current state of the NHS is remarkably short.  And he was very happy to sign me off as safe.

Thanks to my dangerous age, I must now go through this farrago every year, and last year I asked Motorsport UK if they would demand the same annually.  They would not give me an assurance otherwise, and my renewal papers arrived yesterday.  So, I must A/ bother the NHS for a GP appointment, which must include an ECG, and B/ probably bother it again to see my cardiologist (who I have not troubled for over three years).     The first will be a 'private' consultation, always has been, and I will ask for one for the heart guy who last time fitted me into his ultra-busy OPD.

Thanks, Motorsport UK, whose 'medical advisers' do not, AFAIK, include a cardiologist who might understand the risk, or lack of it, that my heart presents.  Your over caution is another load on the NHS!

John