Autosparks Loom

Hi All,

I wonder if someone out there has fitted a new autosparks loom that was made by them for an alterantor.

My question relates to the wires that come through the bulkhead into the engine bay.

The picture attached shows the wires i have which are:

2 white into one connector and one Red with green strip - i believe these go to one side of the fuse box as per my old fuse box

I then have 3 red, 3 green and one Green with a brown stripe.

The 3 red i believe get attached to the other side of the fuse box as per my old fuse box.

My old fuse box has just 2 green wires attached - does the additional green and green with brown strip go onto new fuse box with the other green wires?

I then have 2 thick brown and 2 thick brown with a blue stripe all sealed together - i presume i just hide these under the fuse box cover to make look tidy.

I dont currently have the big black voltager regulator ( if that's the right name) fitted on the bulkhead and presume it is no longer required.

Many thanks

David

Wiring by Bulkhead.jpg

I suppose there was no connection information supplied by Autosparks - ? 

The whites, reds, red/green (RG) , 2 greens, and thin green/brown (GN) fit to the fusebox like this.

fsb.jpg.82cc7dd5c9a9c825b9be825fe77fe1af.jpg

One of the greens goes to the brake-light switch and the other to the instrument voltage stabiliser. The third green is odd but there are green wires  originally piggy-backed off from the instrument voltage stabiliser feeding the heater fan and the wiper motor- could the extra green wire be one of those, so they have changed the pick-off point in the new loom ?  You may need to do some continuity checks to confirm the wire runs; do you have a multimeter with an ohms range?

If you don't have a copy, these wiring diagrams can be useful:

http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

The other wires are not so simple as it depends what (if any) separate loom you have for the alternator and what type that is.

You have to make an interconnection to the alternator somehow and the old control unit is often used for that.  No, you don't just stick the ends under the fusebox lid - the two thick browns and the brown/blues need to be connected to the output of the alternator but the connection detail depends on the alternator type. 

There also ought to be a thin brown/yellow wire which comes from the dash ignition lamp and connects to the small tab on the alternator - perhaps that is on a separate alternator loom? 

Thanks Rob,

Just to clarify I have a brand new loom and one of the options is to have the wiring for the alternator already in the loom so part of the new loom goes to the alternator and has the correct connector that goes straight onto the alternator.

The 2 Brown and 2 Brown Blue have been joined together and sealed by Autosparks so are definatlely not meant to be taken apart or connecetd to anything see pic attached????

I'll try again to speak to Autosparks but when i rang last week they said they were unable to provide any wring diargrams which is not great!

958831953_BrownWires.jpg.edc22d912ba4a10099f6927cc8c914c5.jpgDave

Ah I see - so that joint must itself be the junction point from the alternator to the ammeter, ignition switch and horns.  

I have installed a new loom from Autosparks some years ago and took the opportunity to convert to an alternator at the same time.

RobH is correct that the thick brown wire feeds from an ammeter to two Brown/Blue wires.

(In my car, I replaced the ammeter with a voltmeter so the thick brown lead connects directly from the alternator)

One of the Brown/Blue leads supplies power to the ignition switch, the other supplies power to the lighting switch.

Kind regards

TT