How many CKD TR5s have been built?

• mbracing changed the title to How many CKD TR5s have been built?

Hi,

Send Roger Ferris, TR5 registrar, an email as he and I went through the Belgium Custom records many years ago to get the totals for both CKD TR5 and CKD TR6.  His email address is TR5-250registrar@tr-register.co.uk

Derek

Thanks Derek I’ll do this today,

And obviously this number is to be added to the total we do normally read on most of the books (2947 examples) right? In this case is not wrong to say  the total TR5 production numbers are higher than the official records. I’m asking this as apart being a CKD TR5 owner I’m also writing an article on this subject and I want to be the more precise I can.

thanks again.

mbracing

Hi mbracing,

The 2947 total includes the CKD cars. The commission number range of  CP1 to CP3101 includes the CKD cars despite them having a 1 prefix and LP suffix and not all numbers were used hence the difference netween 2947 and 3101. A check with Roger will confirm what went on.

Derek 

Thanks. 
Let’s see what Mr.Ferris says. 
I’m curious to understand how there is such a precise total (2947) when the number of the CKD built ones is not mentioned anywhere.

In all the books about this model you can read the UK and export delivered numbers, but when you arrive at the CKD box there is written N/A, unless I missed something.

mbracing

As an owner of a CKD TR-5, I can attest that Roger (and friends) have done the research.  They’re able to track the number of cars sent to Belgium basis things like ships manifest (Roger provided me the ship name, date it shipped and confirmed my drivetrain was on the manifest as well (the ckd cars were shipped without drivetrain installed).

Roger was very helpful and seemed almost as delighted as me at having a “new TR5 “ uncovered as I was at finding and acquiring it

I have absolutely no doubts about the fact they did the research. My curiosity is related to the fact I explained in my previous posts, as I don’t understand how all the official sources shows such a precise TR5 total production number (that I’m told it does include the CKDs) when the CKDs total is unknown, at least officially or, as in this case, it has been privately researched and not displayed in any Triumph book or website.

mbracing

As I mentioned, Roger and the Tr Registry have done the research.  The exact total number of ckd cars are known as are the total number of TR5’s.   The uk home office still kept records of CKD cars as they left the UK with a Vin number already affixed w/ an extra prefix digit indicating a CKD- so easy to tell the difference between a Canley produced and Belgium finished cars based on the extra vin digit from the home office production records.   It’s not like the home office did not record CKD vins ( no volume car company even back then could play loose w/a vin). What they can’t tell- as the records no longer exist from Malines-is how my car was trimmed out (ie paint and interior colors).   

I think your trying to overcomplicate something, no offense.  These numbers have been confirmed for decades (1980’s) even as new “superslueths” appear every now and then and want to think otherwise.

Yankee TR5

i’m not trying to overcomplicate something, but just trying to understand. In any case I just had a nice exchange of emails with Roger Ferris where it seems he did fully understand my point and he gave me all the informations I was looking for without the feeling this is a complication. I also gave him the info about my latest TR5 I bought recently, that was still unknown to the Registry, and he looked quite pleased about that.

Have a nice day.

mbracing