Adding emergency flashers to a TR4A

Folks, a safety item my TR4A is missing are emergency flashers. I want to alleviate this deficiency over the winter. However forum searches return topics so old that many photos, etc are no longer there. Can you point me to a guide for adding an emergency flasher circuit that will utilize the existing directional lights, and will work with LED bulbs (already fitted)?

thanks

Jim

There was a recent thread on this :

Here's another way to do it Jim, using a separate LED compatible flasher unit and three power diodes.  

hzfl2a.jpg.7dbe35604b0206b828a633301fae32f3.jpg

Edited by RobH

This is the kit most are using

Lucas pt no SFB 300

You would probably have to change the flasher relay in it to suit LED bulbs, but that is not a major problem as that unit is readily available.      https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/215

I write this and realise you are not in UK.

I’d expect to pay GB£ 30-40 for the full Lucas kit.

Ebay USA finds a lot of uk sellers offering the kit.  https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=lucas+SFB300&_sacat=0

Thanks Rob, I had only checked the 4/4A forum.

”Blue”, thanks for the link. 

Another question. As expected, I see in those wiring diagrams that the front/rear directional indicators are assumed to be used with the flasher. Is there any reason not to use the rear brake lights as the rear flashers? The reason I ask is I have fitted a center mounted brake light on my rollover bar. Having that flash too would be a plus.

Jim

You can have something like that with the circuit I posted, with another diode which makes the brake lights flash along with the rear indicators.  ( is that legal?).   You could probably do something similar with the commercial unit.  The diodes prevent cross feed from one light circuit to another:

hzfl2a.jpg.a3db2a8a1c036658f6c35110d1a3b939.jpg

Rob, what about flashing the rear brake lights in lieu of the rear directional lights? Also, I should have mentioned that I am not very savvy when it comes to electrical circuits so please use small words! :blink:

Jim

It is not so simple to separate the rear directional lights from the front ones to do that Jim, while still retaining the normal indicators function.  The wiring would get a bit more complicated and you would need a couple of relays with normally-closed contacts to achieve it, operated by the hazards switch.  I don't think you can do it using the commercial unit.  

It would be like this - new wiring shown in red:

hzz.jpg.680628fabf9ef2fee20d5679a1df8dee.jpg

Edited by RobH