Rear cockpit cappings

I’ve tried to tap out the dents etc. on my rear cappings but my skill level isn’t up to getting them perfect! Does anyone know if it’s okay to cover them with thin foam (the kind that I’ve used on the rear wheel arches)? Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

As ever, any advice gratefully received.

Ian Lynam

I had the same trouble, but using some odd bits of round bar as formers I managed to get them reasonable. Consider the fact that most of the time they are hidden. When the hood is up they are not seen from the outside, and when the hood is down and the frame stowed the frame cover also hides them. Only the "hockey sticks" are on view most of the time and mine were steel, so were not dented like the ally cappings.

Covering them with thin foam may work, but would probably be less durable than sticking the vinyl straight to the alloy.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph, I guess that’s true, they are hidden most of the time. I’m going to have another go at smoothing them and then maybe try the foam. If it doesn’t work I’ll take it off. I’m finding the bends on the corner pieces the most difficult to get right.

Ian