Front Macpherson struts

Hi,

just got a TR7/8 conversion. 
there seems to be a lot of vertical play on the front wheels when the car is jacked up. 
I removed both of the macpherson struts and found that when the shock absorber is at full extension the coil spring is loose. i.e there was no need to compress the springs.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal or are my shock absorbers to long.

any help appreciated

Thanks

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

Red coil springs suggest these may be the shortened uprated items like those sold by Rimmer and Robsport.  No guarantee that someone hasn’t cut them down though.

I fitted these all round on my DHC to replace the ageing TriumphTune items.  I don’t remember fitting the front ones without using a spring compressor.  

However it’s different at the rear.  if the car was to go airborne, the shorter springs don’t stay under compression and could become detached.  Like others I’ve fitted heavy duty tie wraps to hold the spring in place, just in case…….

I have lowered springs on mine, about 'as low as you can go' but whilst you can spin the springs by hand with the car jacked up and the wheels in the air, you still need a spring compressor to remove them. So, sounds like something is adrift. Difficult to help without seeing it. 

I would say measure the ride height on flat level ground and compare it with the standard ride height to the wheel arches as per the manual.

The problem you might encounter with shorter springs is that in ‘bump’ the standard strut can bottom out in hard cornering or over bumps, and I had the exact same problem when I lowered a Mk1 Cortina which has Macpherson struts using the same method and with a dislocated spring when jacked up. You can put a cable tie on the strut insert to see how much the piston travels.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all. just bought a TR7 with a V8 SD1 lump in it. It was originally refurbed in the late 90’s. I thought the o/s front spring was broken but on stripping it out found someone has fitted some sort of restriction device to keep the coil permanently compressed. I’ve cut this off and now I seem to have the same problem as Barry G. The fitted spring is a smidge over 10” when free. Any help greatly appreciated