Randy,

My TR3a has the Revington TR dual circuit brakes, and a twin circuit servo so my girlfriend can use it as it feels like modern car brakes.

My current project (TR4) will also have the same dual circuit set up.

It is possible to add a servo to this system. It obviously has to be a twin circuit servo. The only alternative is to fit two separate servo units, one for each circuit. This is of course somewhat impractical due to the space needed for fitting two separate units.

I bought a twin servo for my TR4 project as there is only one that is suitable and I heard that they were going out of production (again). It is however still possible to get spares for them. As far as I am aware, there are now none left anywhere, except the unused one I have stashed away in my loft that I have yet to decide whether or not to use.

I am however heading towards not using it. I am willing to let it go to someone for a sensible price, if needs be. Alternatively, I am also happy to keep it, just in case. I also have a set of brackets to fit it into a TR4.

Reason for not fitting it to my TR4 is that it is a rally car and it may be better off without the addition of a servo. It is however great on my rather quick and lovely road going TR3a.

I cannot recommend the twin circuit brakes from Revington TR highly enough.

If you are interested in the servo, please get in touch.

David

Randy,

My TR3a has the Revington TR dual circuit brakes, and a twin circuit servo so my girlfriend can use it as it feels like modern car brakes.

David

Hi David/Ian

Interesting to hear the other side of the coin. I think the bottom line is 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder'

Mine is great with the servo, 4VC is better without, dual circuit feel modern but so does mine (now)

Due to the fact that our cars our often on a 2nd/3rd rebuild and the fact is no two cars are really the same, throw in different driving styles and use patterns and you can play any tune you want.

Mine has braided hoses but otherwise is all brand new and standard. Period road tests all say the brakes were a strong point of the overall package back in 1962

MMmm dual circuits do sound nice though.................. and maybe cross drilled discs :rolleyes:

For my rebuild, I decided that dual circuit brakes were a must. Bad enough re-arranging the

bodywork when new panels were available, but now . . . . !

Switching between modern cars and the TR4 makes it difficult to get used to the braking

pedal pressure required with the standard setup, so I had decided, reluctantly, that a servo

as well as dual circuit brakes was a must. I say reluctantly more because I think servos just

make the engine look messy, although there are the cost & maintenance considerations as well.

Just one more thing that can go wrong.

But now, there's a new option.

Recently, smaller diameter master cylinders have become available, meaning that you

can go for the dual circuit brakes and still keep the pedal pressure reasonable. Initial

reports on the setup have been positive.

TR Enterprises are doing my restoration and made the recommendation and that's the setup I'm

going for. I can't give a personal report for a few months more, but it all sounds very promising

and it seems to be the perfect solution for me.

Simon/Steve at TR Enterprises will be able to give more details if you are interested.

AlanR

Thanks for the comments - I've thought about it and the servo is interesting but I've been fine so far with the pedal pressure. I think a dual setup from Mr. Revington would be the best route for me. I'm posting a general 'parts wanted' plea for all things TR4 in the Buy/Sell/Trade section but it is likely I will need to save up and support the vendors while I'm here.

Thanks again,

Randy

2 TR4s in various states of disrepair