Yesterday I found my TR3A had a completely flat battery.  On charging it up the ignition warning lamp was faintly glowing, all the ignition controlled items could be operated without switching the ignition on and when those or the lights were switched on the warning lamp came on brightly.  After checking for obvious wiring faults behind the dash I decided to isolate the alternator, when I reached into the gloom to remove the two wires I noticed a slight sparking.  The insulation on both wire terminals had worn away (presumably by repeated slight movement) so that they were touching intermittently.

My question concerns the terminals on the alternator, are the two large terminals connected and equivalent as if so I could use the one furthest from the small terminal which should stop this happening again?  Fingers crossed that the alternator itself has not been damaged.

Mike

Yes the two large terminals are connected inside the alternator. You can use either or both for the output connection.  I don't think there should be any damage to the alternator. 

Edited by RobH