TR7 Steering Wheel

Guest wedge fan

Guest wedge fan

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone here might know this before I rush out buying the wrong socket! What size is the nut that holds the steering wheel on to the column? Might seem a daft question but I couldn't get my measure into the recess to size it up!

Many thanks,

David.

David & Mike

I think the 11/16" indicated in the manual refers to the thread size. I have recently removed the steering wheel from my 1977 FHC and it needed a 27mm socket. Even though the steering wheels changed on the later cars, I would have thought the securing nut remained the same.

Jeff

11/16" indicated in the manual refers to the thread size. I have recently removed the steering wheel from my 1977 FHC and it needed a 27mm socket. Jeff

Er, I think in English that 1 1/16"? Use a 6 sided socket (rather than the 12s) if you have access to one - I think the nuts are quite shallow and easily rounded.

Edited by jonlar

I think you are right there Jonlar! I now remember that when I bought the socket, I measured the nut and determined it had to be either one and one sixteenth of an inch AF or 27 mm. I ended up with 27mm and it is a perfect fit, and six sided as you mention. So, David, you have the choice of two measurements.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wedge fan

Thanks for all the help, I managed to get a 27mm socket and it did the job nicely. I have a TR8 style steering wheel tucked away somewhere for my restoration project when it's all finished so I've just taken the standard wheel off. The fitting on the column looked about the same as my old Mini so I thought I'd give it a try and it's a perfect fit, much better than my tatty old Austin one! So even though my gold TR7 has gone at least I can take comfort in knowing I must be driving the only Mini out there with a TR7 steering wheel fitted! :blink:

David

Guest wedge fan

Hi Maxwell, it was a real shame to see that one go, I was getting quite attatched but needs must. It's gone up North to Lancashire, the buyer drive down for over 8 hours to Sussex to get the car so I gather he's quite keen. Nice to know it's gone to a good home though. Now I need to find a 'sensible' family runaround. Did I mention series Land Rover.... :blink:

David.