Hello all,

Had a problem yesterday went grocery shopping in the six, parking up in multi storey carpark and as i reversed in the space the car packed up.( very considerate i thought)

Did my shopping came back lifted the bonnet and the problem was that that there was no electrical power, after walking to get additional fuses (will remember to carry spares next time), i fitted them and still no power.

Eventually i got her going by wiggling some wires by fuse box, and sped off home before it happened again.

Got her in the garage and had a proper look with my electrical tester.

The problem was in fact the fuse box itself, although it looks to be in ok condition, ie no rust etc, i have decided it has to go.

I hope to replace it with a 6 way Duritefuse box with side entries, however it takes blade type fuses.

My query is what amp blade fuses should i use?

1--fuse fed by white cable from ignition

2- fuse fed by brown cable from battery

3- fuse fed by red and green

plus separate fed for bosh pump-

and seprate fed for kenlowe fan

I would be grateful for some advice

Thanks

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

On my 6 I use 35A for all fuse positions :)

Depending on what make of fuses you buy make sure what the indication means, it could be temporarily max load or continuous max load, some fuses carry both indications

Jean

Edited by jean

[

Thank you for your reply,

The blade fuses i have all have just one number stamped on their top and are all different colors depending on there rating.

Should i look for other fuses then which have a continuous load and max load, as i dont think i have ever seen the blade type with two numbers, but i have not really come accross them before,having never had to change them.

Also i intended to use the 30 amp supply that is next to the original fusebox as a fused supply for my bosh pump which is currently connected to original fusebox and has a relay, would this be appropriate and what size fuse should a use.

Regards

GUY

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy, have a look under "fuses" on www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk . It gives some comparison tables. I have found them helpful people in the past.

Rhordi, a very nice link. According to this the blade fuses are all indicating the continious load what means they will cope with twice the start load :)

Jean

Jean,

Correct me if i am wrong , so that means for example a yellow blade fuse with 20 marked on the top is a 20 amp continious load and 40 amp blow.

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Guy, this what I understand from the tables :rolleyes: The value on the blade fuse is the continuous load value and as a rule the blow value is double that. For Lucas glass fuses the value on the fuse is the blow rate, the continuous load being half value. This is probably the reason why sidescreen cars had 50A fuses, but only 2 of them

Jean

Edited by jean
Guy,

I'd recommend at least a 35A fuse for the Bosch pump and a dedicated power feed directly from the battery, otherwise can heat things up a bit too much in my experience. You can use the original ignition circuit to power the pump relay.

Thanks Jean and Badshead for your input. :D

Bosh pump was previously run through fusebox. Am going to run a dedicated supply from battery to relay to fusebox then to pump, and the ignition to inertia cut out,onto relay.

Existing relay is a durite (code 0727-12), cant quite make it out but looks like a 20 amp, was going to change it for a new one should i go for a larger amperage and perhaps have it fused in one unit, so would not need to route via fusebox.

Hope i make sense. :unsure:

Guy

Guy

Good idea to power the relay via inertia switch..... just in case. I've used a standard make and break relay and inline fuse like this Auto Electrical Supplies on the heavy gauge pump feed with a 35A glass fuse. For reliability I've soldered the connections to the fuse holder - works fine.

Thanks Badshead,

As i have two fuses boxes now i will most probably run the feed through them, off to auto electric supplies tomorrow morning to see what i can get from them. With Lucas dissappearing they are stocking less and less of the lucas products and seem to be pushing forward new companys.

Hopefully i will have my electrical hassles sorted sometime tomorrow.

And i wonder what the next problem will be, do you know what i mean, its all part of the fun of owning a classic.

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal