Who is doing what?

Hi All

BST82B is parked in the garage for a while as work is actching up with me in abig way but I intend to do the UAC Retro in October (their 21st Anniversary event), probably wih 3VC and subject to navigators not fishing in Harris!

Also lined up for the Rally of the Tests with Rob Kiff using 3VC again, hoping to have a much of a hoot as we did last year. There is also talk of Rob and I doing the Winter Challenge with BST82B prior to it getting repainted next year and maybe a few 1 day rallies in between - yet to be decided and subject to time, navigators and budget!

Regards

Tony

Hi all,

7VC's next and last rally this year will be the Devonian, on 1st Oct. Just as well, as it gives me a chance to sort a few things out and give the poor car a rest!! Had an absolute navigational shocker on the Ross Traders last weekend - very tricky. The tests were great fun though, and I equalled a Mini's time on one so I was hugely pleased!! Shame that the scrutineer was wearing such a big anorak that he made me physically remove the centre spot lamp, even though it has no bulb in it and the cover was staying on!! I think this is taking the "no more than four" rule too far, particularly for a daylight-only clubman's event. Lots of people had to remove lamps in the car park... The scrutineer should get out more.

My last two events this year are two long weekend Classic Rally Tour events in France, organised by Simon Rossiter. Very sociable and great fun. 3VC was out on one at the beginning of the year with John & Charles. My 2.5PI rally car has been stuck in the garage since January, so I will be dusting that one off for these events. More space for wine on the way home!!

Cheers,

Jonathan

Indeed the only negative about TR4's (and 3VC in particular with the big works tank) is that there is bugger all bootspace for wine on the way home!

Sorry I wont see you on the 1st Jon, but look forward to a few beers over the winter!

Regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Morning all,

I thought I would reinstate this and see what everyone is up to.

I'll start it off!

My TR4 is moving on really slowly at the moment. Body is all repaired, painted and fitted to the chassis which is all fully rebuilt and modified/strengthened etc. Full cage fitted.

Loads more to be done and all sorts of bits to make and recondition for the rest of the car.

It will all be progressing slowly for a while due to time, and financial, pressures involved in setting up my new business.

I hear little snippets of what others are doing but it may be good to share it on here, before we try to meet up at malvern for some beers.

Over to you.

David

All,

There is some progress to report. After a short trip up the road with the new steel engine, I came to the conclusion that the car was quicker than my honda fireblade. This has led to discussions with household scrutineer who has dissapproved the modifications (PS she could not cope with changing any more nappies). Hence the engine is now out and development work has started on a friends dyno.

Tony, how do you cope with the extra power in yours?

Aiming for an entry on the cloverleaf.

Jim

Edited by jhowe3

Hi Jim

Power causes all sorts of problems up and down the driveline, particularly in the gearbox and clutch department. I had a series of fairly spectacular failures as i moved from none steel engine to steel engine. I wont bore you with the details, but 8 bolt the flywheel, AP racing paddle (ceramic with springs) or helix clutch and use a stag gearbox with a type overdrive, properly built (both bits). I can talk you through it and refer you to a man who knows. Dont try cheap stuff as youll just end up with it all on the garage floor. Depending on cam twin 45's essential, but pundits say SU HS6 also good up to 150bhp ish ..... but you should get beyond this.

I also use a TRANX diff as opposed to the original salisbury LSD - careful also with the quality of the CWP here. ive tried 3.9, 4.1 and 4.33 ratio's and all have merit depending on what youre doing with the car. The works ran 4.1 mostly and 4.33 occasionally. 3.9 is fine for toruing, but does not make the car peppy enough for the 1 day stuff.

Domestic scrutineer from the North Hampshire Works approves current modifications and state of trim due to reliability, lack of failure and flow of further cash in to the 'powder blue' kitchen project ..... but yet further development work in the offing due to leaking gearbox and oil attack to mounting .... watch for this too.

John Kiff and I are out next in BST82B next sunday on the Leukemia rally (Ecurie Cymaeg) ..... very good 1 day event, next at the TR Register Concours ........! not!

Gareth Firth took a class win with 3VC on the 3 Castles .... no more dents to report.

Regards

Tony

PS Do the TR Enterprises Challenge!

We also did the 3 Castles in a TR4, but had reliability issues ("to finish first, etc....."). Once those had been bodged into submission, it was nice to be chasing a proper works TR (well done Gareth for the Class win) round the Welsh countryside - and there was some scope for intimate contact with the scenery, judging by the sorry state of a Beemer brought back in to Llandudno when I was at the friendly local garage wielding the spanners on Day 2. Might do the Rally of the Tests and also Le Jog, but the latter would not be in the 4.

Rally of the Tests is a brilliant event ....... book now though as it does get full up !

3 castles is another one for next year I think ...... maybe ill try 3VC on that one, but more likely BST82B!

Regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi H

Welcome to the T Register !

Knockhill is a fun circuit for a TR4, a bit bumpy so keep the rear soft ...... particularly in the wet ....... enjoy the SEAT curve .... and the uphill hairpin onto the home straight ........

We went round there with 3VC a few years ago on the Rally of the Tests ..... and Ive got a little history around the windy little place .....! Its a blast.

Regards

Tony