The olive is slotted to aid dis-assembly; so if there is some crud in the slot it won't close up properly when tightened. Perhaps that is the problem?  I don't think it makes any difference which way round it is - I don't remember having to check that when I replaced mine, but that was some years ago I suppose.....

Edited by RobH
typo

Just looked at the olive, nut and end plate.  
I can see the taper in the nut is more distinct than the one in the threaded steel boss of the end plate.  
I would assemble with the flat side of the olive to the steel boss on the steering box end cover and the taper toward the brass nut.

No doubt this is an item that does have a correct way and as Rob has stated it probably doesn’t matter.  Just do not over tighten.

I have never resorted to tapes or goo to seal this item.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
23 minutes ago, Jim Geoghegan said:

Thank you for your replies. Put it on with the taper to the steering box and not happy sowill follow your advice 

and try the other way.

The olive I removed was universal so obviously wrong.

Thinking about it.   
With the flat side of the olive to the steering box, when you undo or remove the nut the stator tube can be pushed upwards & into the car without the taper of the olive being compressed tighter into the steel threaded boss of the end plate. 

Peter W