TR6 Prop Shaft Reconditionig

My propshaft looks a bit rusty and the spline joint appears not to move (at leat easily) as car not used for years before my recondition.

1.) There appears to be a cork seal and an old 2013 post says use an O ring instead. What have other used behind the screw cap?

2.) What does one use to lubricate the splines?

3.) Should there be a grease nipple for the splines? I appear to have ust a boltj(!).

Hi Richard,

2) Castrol LM grease or equivalent.

3) Take the bolt out and put a grease nipple in, grease up, then replace with the bolt or leave the nipple in. You could put a cap on the nipple to keep it clean.

Vince.

35 minutes ago, DIYBOSSCAT said:

Hi Richard,

2) Castrol LM grease or equivalent.

3) Take the bolt out and put a grease nipple in, grease up, then replace with the bolt or leave the nipple in. You could put a cap on the nipple to keep it clean.

Vince.

+1. Leave the nipple in. Maybe use a moly grease like Castrol LMM if you like to standardize on greases in your garage .Wipe all grease nipples clean before you grease them.

Well today I took my prop all apart and to my surpris the cork seal was in very good condition. I tried a few O rings and whilst they gripped the smooth part of the spline, they were  not as tall as the cork and would not fill the gap between the shaft and the casing so will probably re-use the cork.

Whilst it is there to stop dirt getting in, actually I cannot see how it works that well. Given that the spline moves even if only 3mm or so, this will simply first time around push the cork against the splined bit of the shaft. Then the casing moves back to leave a gap between cork and the cap end so the casing constantly moves, say, 3mm up to and back from the cork. My cork had pushed up to the splines. Still, there was not much sign of dirt, just pretty old and pretty dry grease on the spline. Perhaps it does work.

Grease nipple already orddered as well.

Thanks.