Hi

I've read through the archives and there is plenty on size of tyres. I'm pretty convinced I want 195*65 for my 6" * 15 minilites. The problem I have is which make? I have rad some of the tests on my tyres and Avon ZV3 or Yokohamas look good. Any recomendations?

Guest andythompson

I have found Michelin XM1 Energy to be excellent... including at track days at Wanneroo (Perth) where fitting R compound semi slick only improved times from a 1min 18 (Michelin) to 1min 16 (Toyo Proxes 195/50-15 Soft compound) ....

There is a somewhat limited choice in 195/65 profile however I can recommend Bridgestone ER20 (superceded by ER30 now). I have just got rid of a set of Pirelli P6000 which didn't seem to suit the car at all and replaced them with Toyo CF1 which are just fabulous. Terrific grip, no squeal, great straight line stability, no tramlining. Have only done 50 dry miles with them so unable to comment on wet grip or longevity.

Jerry

Guest Ian G
Hi Guys

Locally I can only source the Avons so Avons it is.

Thanks for the help.

George

Hi George,

Check out www.mytyres.co.uk for a huge choice and excellent prices.

I had a chat with Chris Shaw of TRGB, and he recommended 195/60 15s on 6 x 15 rims, to ensure the speedo stays reasonably true. He runs Avon ZV3s on his TR6, but I opted for Vredestein Hi Tracs, based on the test results on the site, for 43 quid each. They were delivered to the door within a week.

It should cost between 8 and 10 quid a wheel to have the tyres fitted and balanced locally.

Cheers,

Ian

George

I fitter Vredestein Hi Tracs about 1500 miles ago and have been very pleased. I also looked at some of the German test reports and was impressed by the wet weather performance. In my view most tyres can perform in the dry but it is in the heavy summer storms that performance is needed.

Supplied by etyres.co.uk they were fitted and balanced on the drive at home by a local mobile fitter arranged by etyres. Whilst balancing he told me that two of the four rims were slightly out of shape, not enough to be a problem, but "put them on the back", and was done in under an hour. That is what I call service.

Tim

Guest Ian G
George

I fitter Vredestein Hi Tracs about 1500 miles ago and have been very pleased. I also looked at some of the German test reports and was impressed by the wet weather performance. In my view most tyres can perform in the dry but it is in the heavy summer storms that performance is needed.

Supplied by etyres.co.uk they were fitted and balanced on the drive at home by a local mobile fitter arranged by etyres. Whilst balancing he told me that two of the four rims were slightly out of shape, not enough to be a problem, but "put them on the back", and was done in under an hour. That is what I call service.

Tim

That's good news, Tim!

I haven't fitted my Hi Tracs yet, as I've been waiting for my Minilites to be delivered. The combination of very good wet and dry performance, plus the low noise and good wear characteristics, are what swung me to the Hi Tracs rather than the ZV3s. The rotation requirement is a minor snag, but I can live with that.

Cheers,

Ian