Rear axle: free play when turning the wheel

Hello to everyone. Today, after the parts were stuck in customs for a month, I finally was able to replace the arms that link the damper lever with the spring leaf in my TR4A solid axle (By the way, in case it can be useful for someone, at some point, tired of waiting and wanting to use the car, I filled the ball joint holding the tapered bolt that connects with the damper lever in the old link with polyurethane and it worked pretty well: the bolt would feel very firm ando the rattle was gone).

Anyway, while doing that, with the two rear wheels off the ground, and in neutral, I noticed that I could turn either wheel approx 1 inch before the driveshaft or the other wheel would start turning. Is that a normal free play, or is there something wrong with my diff?

You are measuring it at the worst point, that 1” free play at the wheel is probably less than 1/4” at the pinion of the diff. 

Mick Richards

As Mick says.

I can rock the wheel back and forth in the “slack” area like that quite normally.