Hi

What appears to be a very nice 250 in primrose yellow, has just come up for sale on ebay. The Owner lives in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire. Does anyone know the car and in your opinion, how should the price compare between a true TR5 and a TR250.

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl, The car certainly looks the part. its not known in the Trent Group as far as I am aware. To give you a comparison Classic Chrome has just sold a spanking Tr250 for £ 14995 which had been advertised for some months. so £ 14000 sounds about right. Best thing is to go and see it and take Rob Geeves with you its only down the road. Dont know what an MM engine is though I thought TR250's had similar engine numbers to the TR5 , i.e CP ****

Good luck

rex :D

Hi Carl, The car certainly looks the part. its not known in the Trent Group as far as I am aware. To give you a comparison Classic Chrome has just sold a spanking Tr250 for £ 14995 which had been advertised for some months. so £ 14000 sounds about right. Best thing is to go and see it and take Rob Geeves with you its only down the road. Dont know what an MM engine is though I thought TR250's had similar engine numbers to the TR5 , i.e CP ****

Good luck

rex :D

Thanks for the comments Rex, but do I have to take Rob ? Rob is my neighbour and mate. never seen the car at Trent group or on local shows ? interesting comment on engine No. anyone got anything to add ?

Cheers

Carl

Carl, I was going on the basis of two heads are better than one when looking at cars to buy, especially when the buyer is keen to have a TR5 or TR250. I have always thought that Rob was a bit of a rotweiller as far as buying was concerned being in the trade and knows his cars very well.

Okay, so take someone else, but go over the car carefully if you are spending that much money. I took Rob Forster from the Trent Group when buying my 5 recently. He picked up some points and I picked others. We then had a discussion and when he said ( If you dont buy it I will , I knew it was a good one )

:D

No, you don't have to take me, but you do need to get permission off the wife!

HA!

MOT on 4 today?

Rob.

PS. Should you perhaps contact the registrar and get the chassis number checked? MAybe it's a 4a with a salloon engine stuffed up it?

Edited by robgeev

Yes, I agree with Harry. According to my records MM is from either a 2500TC or 2500S.

I did some research on engine numbers when I bought my TR5 which had a similar thing. It had the initials MG (not that MG!) stamped on the engine.

This denotes it's from a 2.5PI Mk2 which make it the right wrong engine to have if you see what I mean. Importantly however, it retains it's correct cylinder head which seems to be where the power is generated from so I would try and find out what the TR250 is fitted with.

I got my information from the Triumph Club website which lists what all of the codes mean including compression ratios, torque figures, cylinder head applications, valve sizes, etc.

Good luck Simon