New Loom Fusing arrangements

Hi all 

I'm about to order a complete new loom from AutoSparks with the usual additions for Fog and electric Fan. 

The OEM fuse box IIRC has just four fuses for everything which seems a bit limited and leads to lots of circuits been taken out if one blows and make tracing the problem harder. I was wondering if anyone has a diagram/tread or experience of splitting the circuits into individual circuits and which substitute fuse box did they use? 

Like to keep it looking as original as possible in the same place if that's possible.

Thanks

Andy

Hi Andy,

I've taken a different approach, but then again I haven't splashed out on a new loom. May be of interest even so. I've added a separate fuse box for high-draw items. It's supplied direct from the alternator and battery via really fat red wires. From both to reduce current behind the dash (so, yes, the ammeter is now decorative only and will be replaced by a voltmeter one day). Each load gets its own fused supply via a dedicated relay close to the load (except for horn relay which I've kept where it is). The relays are switched by the original supply. So far the items supplied from the "high load" fuse box are electric fan, lights (high/low beam), horn, fuel pump, and AFR sensor (it has a heating element).

This approach has the benefit of reducing current through old switches (I once had an ignition switch overheat, which was a pain), as well as making it easy to beef up the size of the supply leads. Made a noticeable difference to the brightness of the headlights and to the performance of the fuel pump. I can't say whether the horns are any louder!

Cheers,
John