Beefing up suspenders

15 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Well it’s not possible to replace everything on the car but when we have examples such as this happening

Stag Hub failure.jpg

And this was one of a pair of reconditioned hubs after a couple of months usage, the other hub also broke within an 18 month period. The owner then decided it was trying to tell him something and replaced with 2 new hubs which comes complete with new stub axle and quality bearings.

We have had a small ( but growing) catalogue now of instances such as this with hubs or stub axles failing in use...even low stress running say 60 mph on a straight road where there are hardly any side forces or scrub. These units are dying, they have reached their “ timed” life with most having had an “ interesting” past which could well have caused stresses within and hidden faults. These items cannot be easily and safely crack tested, the very act of stripping to constituent parts will cause extra stressing on their aged materials. 
I am changing the rear hubs and stub axles on my Stag ( this hub above is the same design as a TR) the front hubs seem rather better and a new stub axles has sufficed there.

Mick Richards

Blimey.  I’m pleased I took the plunge.